Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Is this what happens when you have a sister?

With everything that had been happening lately, we'd pretty much given up on Thursday happy hours, but this week Kinsley suggested we get them up and running again.  We all agreed and planned something for this coming Thursday.  Since we all had hardly hung out together for what seemed like months, I was excited for it.

When I got there, Lauren and Alex were the only ones there.  I got a drink and joined them.  Kendra arrived shortly after, then Christian and Kinsley.  Kinsley looked at me guiltily when she sat down.  "What?" I asked, looking at her strangely.

"Damien is coming, and I think James is too," she said apologetically.

I shrugged.  "I'm not the one that cares if he's around."  Damien and James did arrive shortly after, and Brody followed just a few minutes later.

Brody said hello and kissed me on the cheek before he walked up to the bar with James, of all people.  When they returned, they stood off to the side carrying on their conversation in hushed tones.  I grew puzzled when they pulled their phones out and appeared to exchange numbers, then shook hands.  Brody came over and sat down next to me after that.  "What was that all about?" I asked curiously.

"I'll tell you about it later," he replied.

"Why can't you tell me about it now?"

"Because later is better," he insisted.

I just stared at him, then said, "Because I'll be mad about whatever it is?"

"Liv, come on.  I'll tell you later, I promise."  I didn't even get a chance to decide if I wanted to let it go for now when his phone rang.  He had switched on call weeks with Pete and was on call again.  He got up and answered as he walked towards the door.  A few minutes later he came back.  "I'm sorry," he said.  "I have to go back to the office for awhile.  Do you want to get a ride over there when you guys are done, if I'm not back yet?"  We had driven together again this morning.

"Yeah, that's fine," I replied.  "I'm sure someone will give me a ride."  He kissed me and said goodbye and took off, leaving me curious about what he and James were discussing and a little annoyed that he refused to tell me about it.

When I was ready to leave, I ended up getting a ride with James, since Brody's office was most on his way.  I barely even had my car door shut when I asked, "What were you and Brody talking about?"

"Sorry Liv, I'm going to let him tell you about that," he replied.

"Seriously?  But--"

"Sorry," he interrupted, his voice firm.  "You'll have to wait and talk to Brody."  I sighed and looked out the window, feeling like a kid that had just been scolded for asking too many questions.  I was now convinced that Brody was up to something that I wouldn't be pleased about.

He insisted on parking and walking me up to Brody's floor.  He hadn't brought up Cassie at all, and I wondered briefly if he was in contact with her.  I decided I wasn't ready to know, and didn't ask.  I said goodbye to him just as Brody pushed open the door to let me into his office suite.

"Thanks for the ride," I said.  Brody echoed my thanks and then led me to his office.

"I'm almost done," he said.  I nodded and plopped down on the couch.  I pulled my Kindle out of my purse and settled in to wait.  About 15 minutes later, Brody asked if I was ready to go.  I put my Kindle away and stood.

"Will you tell me what you guys were talking about now?" I asked.

Brody sighed.  "I will, but you're not going to like it."

"I figured as much," I said with a shrug.

"I was asking him for a couple of research tips," he said simply.  I glared at him, giving him a look that clearly said, "that is not enough information and you know it."  "I want to know more about Josh."

"Josh?!" I yelped.  I took a deep breath and forced my next question to come out quieter and calmer.  "My coworker Josh?  Why?"

"Honestly, I'm not really sure why," he admitted.  "I just have a weird feeling.  He's been weird, I don't like the way he acts around you, and I don't like what I've heard from Neil."

"Brody," I said exasperatedly.

He shook his head.  "Something about that guy is off, and I don't trust him one bit.  I'm not to the point of wanting to hire James, I just want to see if there's any interesting public information on Josh.  You can be pissed at me if you want.  If it makes you feel better, I didn't just to do this to be a crazy, overprotective boyfriend.  I also don't like the way he's talked about me to you and I'm a little paranoid, given recent events."

Once he said that, I could start to understand his worry.  Josh did seem really stuck on Brody and how much money he made for some reason.  It seemed to go a little beyond typical jealousy or whatever else.  "Okay," I said, resigning myself to the fact that he was going to do this whether I liked it or not.  "Can we just go home now?"  Brody nodded and gathered his stuff.

Once we were on the road, he asked, "On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being that you've never been happier, and 10 being you're plotting how to kill me in the most painful way possible, how mad are you?"

I snorted.  "4 and a third," I replied.  "I'd be pissed if you had hired James to investigate him.  But doing a little research makes more sense when you pointed out your worry in light of recent events.  It actually does make me feel better that you're not just doing it to protect me, which was my assumption--self-absorbed as it is."

"I think that's a fair assumption, considering my tendencies to try to protect you," he said with a shrug.  "I'm glad you're not mad, though."  And then it was done.  I assumed he'd let me know if he discovered anything interesting, and I'd just as soon not worry about it unless he did.

On Saturday, Brody planned to go into the office.  I planned to ride into town with him and go to the gym, then I had plans to spend the rest of the day with Lauren and Kinsley.  We slept in and took awhile to get out of bed, but once we were up we got ready pretty quickly.

As I was pulling my shoes on, my phone began to ring from the counter.  Brody grabbed it and handed it to me.  "It's Sarah," he said.

"I'll call her later," I replied, silencing the ringer.  I sent her a text that said, "Headed to the gym, can I call you in a couple hours?"

Her reply was immediate.  "I'm in Denver, can you come get me?"  "What?" I yelped in surprise.  What was a 14 year old doing in Denver?  Was she by herself?  How did she even get here?  I quickly called her back, while holding up one finger to an impatient-looking Brody.

"Hi Liv," she answered, sounding a little bit desperate and not at all like her normal, sullen self.  "Don't lecture me, okay?  Can you please come pick me up?"

"Where are you?" I asked calmly.  Brody no longer looked impatient, and now just looked confused.

"I'm at the Greyhound station," she replied.  After a pause, she said, "Please, Liv."  She sounded scared, and I told her I was on my way.

I quickly filled Brody in, and he grabbed his keys.  "I'll drive," he said, abandoning his plan to get to work.  I gave him a grateful look.

When he pulled up I saw Sarah sitting against the building, hugging a backpack to herself.  I got out of the car and when she saw me, she jumped up and threw her arms around me and started to cry.  I hugged her back before gently disentangling myself and leading her to Brody's SUV.  I pulled open the back door and she got in and slid all the way over.  I climbed in the back with her and slid into the middle.  She immediately leaned against me and I put my arm around her.

"Back to our house?" Brody asked quietly from the front.  Sarah sat straight up, realizing there was someone else in the car.  I nodded to Brody, then introduced him to Sarah.  Sarah stared at the back of his head for several seconds before crumpling against me again.

Back at our house, I got Sarah some water.  "Are you hungry?" I asked.  She shook her head.

"Do you want me to stay or go?" Brody asked softly.  I had no idea.  I shrugged helplessly.  "I'll stay for a bit at least, just in case," he said.  "I'll just go to my office and be out of the way."  I nodded.  He headed out of the room, and I was so grateful for his support.

"Will you tell me what's going on?" I asked, sounding much calmer than I felt.   My question started a fresh round of tears.  I rubbed her back and waited for her to calm down.

Finally, she took a deep, shaky breath, and said between hiccuping sobs, "I heard Grandma on the phone, and she was saying that our mom wants us back and they're going to have to go to court."

"Oh, Sarah," I replied.  "That must have been scary to hear.  Did you ask her about it?"

"No!" she said fiercely.  "It doesn't matter!  I'm not going back with her!"

"Okay," I responded soothingly.  "So I assume she doesn't know you're here?"

"No, and please don't tell her, Liv," she begged.  "Please."  She turned her desperate eyes on me for the first time since we had picked her up, and my heart broke for her.

I squeezed her hand.  "Sarah, I have to.  She's probably worried sick about you.   She needs to know you're okay."

Sarah shook her head furiously.  "I'm not going back there!"

"Let me talk to her.  Maybe you can stay here for tonight at least.  Can I tell her why you left?"

She glared at me for several seconds.  I returned her gaze, keeping my face neutral.  Finally, she said, "Whatever, I don't care."  She pulled her knees up to her chest and put her forehead on them.  I took out my phone and called Nadine.

Jon answered.  "Jon, it's Olivia," I said.  "Sarah is here."

"What?" he practically yelled.  "What do you mean, there?  She's with you?  In Denver?"  I heard him yelling for Nadine, and a second later, she breathlessly picked up another phone.

"Yes," I confirmed.  "She's here in Denver.  At my house.  She--"

"How did she get there?" Nadine shrieked, cutting me off.  Sarah must have heard her, because she lifted her head and glanced briefly my way.

"She took the bus.  She overheard you on the phone talking about her mom, and she freaked out."

"Oh no," Nadine muttered.  "I bet she did.  We're coming, we'll be there soon."

"Wait," I said.  "Please, give her some time to calm down.  She can stay here with me tonight, if it's alright with you."

Neither of them spoke for nearly 30 seconds.  Then I heard hushed whispers.  Finally, Nadine said, "If you're okay with her staying, that's fine.  Can I talk to her?"

"Sarah?  Your grandma wants to talk to you," I told her, holding out the phone.  She shook her head stubbornly.

"Nadine, can we call you back in a couple hours?  She might be more willing to talk then."  Sarah glared at me again.  Nadine agreed, and we hung up.

Sarah asked if she could take a shower.  I walked her upstairs to the guest bathroom.  I got her a towel and a toothbrush, showed her where everything was, and then I walked downstairs and plopped onto the couch.  Brody came out of his office and sat on the couch next to me, and I let my head fall onto his shoulder and my eyes close.  He wrapped his arms around me and said, "You handled that really well."  I just relaxed further against him.

"Thank you for putting your day on hold for this.  It means a lot to me,"  I told him after a few minutes.  He squeezed my shoulders with his arm.  "I think we'll be okay here if you want to go to work now.  I probably should have checked with you, and I'm sorry, but I told them she could spend the night here.  I hope that's okay."

"Of course it is," he replied. "Are you sure you're okay if I go in for a little bit?"  I nodded and assured him we were fine.  He glanced at his watch.  "I'll come back around 6?  I can bring pizza or something if you want."

"Yes, that sounds like a good idea," I replied.  "Thank you."  I moved so he could get up, and I grabbed my phone and texted Lauren and Kinsley to let them know what was going on and that I wouldn't be making it today.

Shortly after Brody left, I heard the shower turn off.  I sighed and wondered what the hell I was going to do with a scared and angry 14 year old (that I barely knew) for the next 24 hours.




1 comment:

  1. I don't know if the States are the same, but here in Canada, she's over 12, she gets to decide if she goes back to mom or has anything to do with her. The courts will listen to her now that she's over 12. and I think there was a brother? If he's over 7 they will take into consideration if he does not want to see his mom as well.

    ReplyDelete