Saturday, November 1, 2014

Pizza and Beer

Thanks to all that voted in last week's poll and commented with feedback.  4 posts (option 2) was far and away the winner, so I guess Thanksgiving will be coming a little early this year!  As always, thank you all so much for your constant feedback and support.  This is the cheesiest thing I've ever said in my life, but Liv's story would nothing without its awesome readers.  Okay, I'll wait while you finish rolling your eyes. 

This will be post #1 for the week.  Alex's post will come on Monday morning, and Wednesday's main storyline post will happen at its normal time (so sometime between Tuesday evening and Wednesday at 6am). Kinsley's story will conclude (for now anyway) on Friday.  
____________________________________

On Thursday, Lauren grimaced at me when I joined them for happy hour.  "You just missed Savannah," she whispered as I sat down.  "I can't believe she had the nerve to show her face here."

I looked around in surprise.  "Is she gone now though?" I asked.  I had no desire to see her.  Kendra and Christian's wedding would be enough, I didn't need to start seeing her happy hour again too.

"She is," Lauren confirmed.  I sighed in relief.  "She just stopped in to talk to Kendra.  I don't know why she couldn't just call her."  Lauren asked if Brody was coming and I shrugged and said what he told me last night, that he'd try to stop by.

"He's been really ridiculously busy since he came back," she commented.

I nodded.  "I guess he's been taking a lot of after hours calls and stuff too.  Sounds like he's a little overwhelmed." 

"Hi, lovelies!" Kinsley's voice rang out.  We looked up as she approached.

"You're awfully cheerful," Alex said suspiciously.  Kinsley shrugged and blew him a kiss.  Alex rolled his eyes and turned to me.  "Is Brody coming?"  Clearly he hadn't been listening.  I repeated what I had told Lauren.  "Huh," he mused.  "I never thought I'd be asking a chick for an update on Brody's plans and whereabouts."  Then he turned back to Christian.

I gave Lauren and Kinsley a weird look.  Kinsley shrugged.  "I wouldn't have expected it either," she said with a shrug.

We were there for about an hour when my phone vibrated with a text from Brody saying he was on his way.  I showed Alex.  "About time," Alex quipped.

"Who pissed in your Cheerios today?" Lauren asked Alex.  Alex just gave her a dirty look.  Lauren and I exchanged looks.

"What the hell is his problem?" I whispered.  Lauren shrugged.

Kendra scooted around the large table and pulled up a chair behind me.  "Liv, are you coming up the day before the wedding with Brody?" she asked me.  Kendra and Christian's wedding was in just over a week.

"I think so.  I'm just waiting for my boss to approve my time off.  I have plenty of time to use so I most likely will be able to," I replied.

"If you want to come to the rehearsal dinner with him, you're certainly welcome," she invited me.  "It would be stupid for you to sit in your room while he was at dinner."

"Cool, thanks," I said with a smile.  "If I can get Friday off I'd love to join you guys for the dinner.  I should know tomorrow, I'll let you know."

"Great!" she said with a smile.  "I'm so glad you guys are back together."

"Me too," came a voice from behind me.  I turned to see Brody smiling at us.  Kendra got up and offered him the chair she had pulled up next to me.  Brody thanked her and sat down.  "Do you need another drink?" he asked, gesturing to my almost empty glass.  I nodded, and he stood to go up to the bar.

Alex, who was now at the other end of the table, turned and said, "When you're done catering to your girlfriend, maybe you can join us for awhile."  Brody gave him a look that was a mix of surprise and irritation.  I just gaped at him.

"Dude, out of line," Christian said, also surprised.  Alex shrugged.  Brody glanced at me before walking up to the bar.

When he came back he set my drink down and said softly to me, "I'm going to see what his deal is.  I'll be back."  I nodded.  Brody walked over to the other side of the table and sat near Alex.  They began talking quietly.  I strained to hear what they were saying but I couldn't.  Kinsley was closer and was listening closely too.

"Alex is pissed because Brody's been MIA," she reported quietly.

"That's not my fault, we've been back together for less than week!" I protested with irritation.  Kinsley shushed me and continued to listen.

"Brody told him about work, then told him if he wants to be pissed, be pissed at him, but leave you out of it," Kinsley continued.  "Alex is saying that Brody hasn't cared about anything but work and you since he got back from Miami."

Kinsley was quiet for a second, then cringed.  "Christian just suggested that Alex is still pissed that you picked Brody and not Alex."

"There was never a choice," I said with exasperation.  "I was never interested in Alex."

"Which is exactly what Alex just said, actually," Kinsley replied.  Then she made another face.  "Umm....they're about done, I think," she finished.

"No they're not," Lauren argued.  "They're still talking, what are they saying?  And Brody looks pissed."  We both looked expectantly at Kinsley.

She sighed and said, "Alex wished Brody luck in not getting his heart broken."

I flinched.   "I deserve that," I replied.

"Brody doesn't seem to think so," Kinsley relayed.  I could hear their angry tones now, but still couldn't make out words.  "Christian just told them this wasn't the place, and Brody agreed.  Oh shit, he's coming back."

Brody reappeared, his face stormy.  "Alex and I are going to take a walk," he said tightly.  "I'll be back."

"Actually, I was going to head home soon, do you just want to meet me there when you're done?  That way you can take your time."

"Sounds good, thank you," he replied.  He kissed me quickly and walked towards the door.  Alex followed shortly after.  Christian and Kendra walked over and Christian said, "We're going to take off, see you guys later."  Kendra shot me a sympathetic smile as they waved and walked out.

I sighed and rubbed my forehead.  Lauren patted my shoulder.  "It's not your fault, no matter what Alex thinks," she reassured me.

"I know," I sighed.  "It just sucks.  He's stressed enough, he doesn't need one of his best friends pissed off at him too."  We decided we were going to go too, and headed out.

On my way home, I picked up a pizza because I didn't feel like cooking anything.  I changed out of my work clothes and washed my face first thing when I got home.  I had only been home for about 15 minutes when the doorbell rang.

When I let Brody in, he looked tired but a little more relaxed.  "Pizza?" I asked, offering him a plate.  He took it gratefully after taking off his shoes, jacket, and tie.  "Annnddd..." I paused, scanning the contents of my fridge.  I found what I was looking for and emerged.  "Beer."  I held it out to him.

"Have I ever told you that you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen?" he asked, taking the beer and kissing me.

"No, I don't think so," I said with a laugh.  "Must be the beer."

He ate a piece of pizza, then looked at me.  "How much did you hear before we left?"

"I didn't hear anything, but Kinsley could hear and was relaying it all," I answered honestly.  "So, all of it."

Brody grimaced.  "I'm sorry.  Alex was way out of line, and I told him in no uncertain terms that I wouldn't put up with him talking about you like that."

I shrugged.  "I'm not too upset about it.  But thank you for standing up for me, I appreciate it."  I paused, then said, "And? Are you guys okay now?"

"I think so," Brody replied.  "I think he just needed to vent a little.  Plus he didn't know how much time I've been spending at work, so it helped to be able to fill him in on that.  He's right though, and I should be making more of an effort to see my friends."

"It's hard to balance things sometimes," I said.  "I'm glad you guys are good though."  We ate pizza in silence for a  minute until I remembered Kendra's invitation.  "Oh!  Kendra invited me to join you at the rehearsal dinner if I'm able to go up with you on Friday, so something good came of happy hour."

"Well, at least it wasn't a total wash," he agreed.  He finished his beer and set the bottle to the side.   He put his arms around me and I settled against him.  "I'm glad I'm here.  Pizza and beer and you were exactly what I needed tonight."






5 comments:

  1. This post makes me even more curious to read Alex's perspective this week. Is his perspective going to be on current events or an older storyline?

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept getting Kendra and Kinsley mixed up but I think I got it now lol. Also I am kind of forgetting what everyone looks like (I'm a visual person) including the main character, could you maybe add to character list ? Also I've seen other blogs add pics of celebs that they think look like them...don't have to do that but I just remember I love that! Great blog I really like your characters they are real enough but also likable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely add descriptions to the character page. I'll do that today. I've had a couple other people ask me to compare them to celebrities, but I don't love that idea. I like keeping it open for people to visualize them how they want, since not everyone finds the same things/people attractive. I will definitely add a general description, though!

      Delete
  3. Alex is being a dink lol maybe he's resentful because he's always single? Hopwfully he finds a new love interest soon, and can't wait for the wedding post!

    - S

    ReplyDelete