Saturday, January 24, 2015

(Now) Alex: The Date

Sorry again for the delay on this.  Thank you all so much for understanding and for all your kind thoughts and words!  I know I keep saying this, but I really do think I have the best readers.

Speaking of readers, sometime between today and Monday this blog is going to hit 300,000 views.  This is just insane to me.  So of course, we're going to celebrate, which means a post every day this week!  Thank you all so much for reading.
_______________________________

I spent an awful lot of time trying to think up a fancy, elaborate date before my senses came back to me and I realized that Lauren would hate a fancy, elaborate date.  Once that happened, I breathed a sigh of relief and made a reservation at a casual restaurant with great food and a good selection of wine and craft beer.  It was right around the corner from one of Lauren's favorite wine bars, so we could go there after if she wanted to.

I wanted to talk someone about it, because it was all weird and I was stupidly nervous.  Normally my go-to in this situation would be Brody, but if I didn't want any of it getting back to Lauren, I probably shouldn't talk to her best friend's boyfriend.  There was always Christian, but while Lauren and Kendra weren't as close as they used to be, there was still a chance.  I decided I could use some more objective advice anyway, and on Sunday I sent a text message to Kevin, asking if he wanted to come over and watch some football with me.

It was kind of a long shot, because Kevin and I haven't really hung out without Brody before, so I was surprised when he agreed. He came over about an hour later and we got settled on my couch with beer.  "So, what's going on?" Kevin asked curiously.

I gave him a weird look.  "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well since you've never invited me over to watch football before, or do anything really, I assume you need something."

Perceptive fucker.  "No..." I started, but when he made a skeptical face, I changed my mind.  "Well, I'm going out with Lauren on Tuesday."

"Lauren?" he replied.  He looked confused at first, but after thinking for a second, he nodded.  "I like it.  She's hot."  Well, she's a lot more than that, but I nodded my agreement.  "So what's the problem?"

I gave him a rundown on the situation.  Our background, the strange turn things took at the wedding, and how things have been since.  "So, even though this is definitely what I want, I'm worried about it going wrong and really fucking things up," I admitted, finally.

"I think you guys have enough of a history, and have enough respect for each other, that if things start to go downhill, you'll get out before you destroy your friendship.  Or you'll know right away that it's not going to work and you'll back off.  You've got to try though, man.  I mean, if she doesn't date, and she wants to date you, that seems like it means something."

"It does," I agreed miserably.  "That's what makes me nervous."  Kevin had a point though, and it actually did make me feel a little better.  We watched the games and drank beer for the rest of the day, and it was actually pretty cool hanging out with Kevin.  I might even do it again sometime.

Monday at work was busy, and I was thankful for the distraction from thinking about going out with Lauren.  Tuesday wasn't as busy, and I was off my game to the point that a coworker actually called me out.  I was fully aware of the fact that I was being stupid about it, but there was nothing I could do.  Luckily, after being called out, I was able to focus a bit better and finished out the day okay.

When I got home, I took a quick shower and pulled some clothes out of my closet.  Or, really, out of the laundry basket sitting on the floor in front of my closet.  They were clean, I just hate putting clothes away.  Most of them ended up on the floor as I rifled through before I shook my head at myself and just picked something. 

I saw Liv's car disappearing out of other entrance of the parking lot at Lauren's apartment complex as I pulled in.  I wondered if Lauren was just as nervous as I was, and for some reason that made me feel a lot better.  I made sure my phone was on silent (most people don't do that anymore, but I think it's a dick move for your phone to ring while you're on a date), took a deep breath, and got out of my car.

I pressed the button for Lauren's apartment and the door buzzed immediately.  When I got up to her apartment, her door opened before I could even knock.  "Hi," she said, smiling almost shyly.

"Hi," I replied.  We both just stood there for a second.  She looked...different.  Amazing, but different.  After a second, I realized she had more makeup on than usual.  It wasn't super obvious, but when you've spent as many hours looking at Lauren's face as I have, you notice things.  "You look nice," I said, and she cocked one eyebrow at me.  "I mean, beautiful.  You do."  Are you kidding me?  Don't leave me now brain, I need you.

Lauren chuckled and rolled her eyes.  "You look beautiful too, idiot.  Let's go."  Her sassy comment actually made me calm down a little more, but I still felt weird.  Was I supposed to hug her?  Kiss her?  She took that option away from me by turning and walking down the hall.  Well, alright.

She paused several steps away from me and turned back.  "Are you coming, or am I going on a date by myself?"

"Wouldn't be much of a date by yourself, would it?" I replied, and she grinned.  She waited for me to catch up and slid her hand into mine.  That simple act managed to simultaneously make things feel like a real date, and really weird.  But I liked it.

When we got out to my car, I pulled her door open for her.  She cocked her head at me and raised her eyebrows.  "Now this I could get used to," she said.  And then I waited for her to get settled before I shut the door.  And I waited.  Why do girls take so long to get into the car?  Get in, sit down, put your damned seatbelt on, done.  Girls get in, sit down, smooth their skirts, fix their shoes, fix their hair, then put their seatbelts on.

"Are you about done wiggling around in there?" I asked, smirking.  "I'd hate to ruin our date by severing a limb when I was trying to be a gentleman."  She looked up at me, trying hard to look offended, and then she stuck her tongue out at me.  "Mature, Laur...move your arm."  She laughed and moved her arm so I could shut the door.

Once I was in the car, she turned, angling her body towards me.  "I was wondering how long I could fidget around before you either just went and got in without shutting the door or said something.  You made it longer than I thought you would."  She was grinning at me, and I shook my head and laughed.  Of course.  But every time she did something Lauren-like, I felt more at ease and less nervous.

"You're a real piece of work," I said.

"A real pretty piece of work," she joked back.

I glanced at her quickly and smiled.  "That's true.  You are."  And then Lauren blushed, which is a rare phenomenon and made me smile wider. 

"Knock it off," she said, turning her head quickly to look out the window in a futile attempt to hide her pink cheeks. 

"What?" I asked with mock innocence.  "I've been led to believe that it's generally a good thing to compliment women I'm taking on a date.  I've heard that most women like being told that they're pretty.  Have I been misled?"

"No, we do like that.  But it's you, so it's weird."  She glanced at me quickly, then turned her face back towards the window.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her take a deep breath.

"Hey," I said gently.  She turned back towards me.  "I know this is weird, and I'm nervous too."  When she smiled slightly, I tested my luck with, "And hey, at least we've already seen each other naked, so that won't be awkward."  She groaned and smacked me in the arm, but she was smiling again.

The rest of the drive to the restaurant was far less tense.  Once we got there, the rest of the tension melted away slowly.  Conversation got easier.  By the end of our meal, everything felt like it was back to normal.  I was enjoying her company, as I always did, but it still felt different than it ever had before.  Now it was a good different, though.

After we ate, we moved to the bar area and got another drink.  We ended up staying for two more hours, until finally Lauren said, "It's getting pretty late."  I looked at my watch.  It was after 11.  We both had to work the next day.

"Yeah, it is," I replied.  Neither of us moved.  "So I should probably get you home."

"Yeah, you should."  Still we sat.  Finally I stood and offered her a hand, pulling her up from her seat.  As we walked out, my arm seemed to settle around her waist on its own.  She didn't seem to mind and she let me pull her closer.  The drive back to her apartment was uncharacteristically quiet, but it was a comfortable quiet now.

When we got there, I parked the car.  "What are you doing?" she asked. 

"Walking you inside," I replied.  She started to open her mouth to argue.  "Nope, it's not up for discussion."

Even in the dark I saw her roll her eyes, but she said nothing.  She even took my hand again as we walked inside.  When we got to her apartment, she turned to me.  Leaning up against the door and looking up at me like she was, it was hard for me to not just kiss her.  Instead, I asked, "So, what's the verdict?  Are we going to do this again?"

"I'd like to," she replied, smiling.  "If you want to, of course," she added quickly.

"I do," I said.  I wrapped one hand around her waist and pulled her closer to me.  "Do you kiss on the first date?" I asked, smirking at her.

"Shut up, you idiot," she said, rising up onto her toes and pressing her lips to mine.  The hand I had on her waist slid across her back until my arm was wrapped around her, and my other hand found her cheek.  We'd obviously kissed before, but this was different.  I know I keep saying that, but I don't know how else to describe it.  It was just different.

"This weekend?" she asked when she pulled back.

"Huh?" I was a little dazed from the kiss and had no idea what she was talking about.

"This weekend.  Going out again?  Saturday?"

"Yes," I said.  "Yes, Saturday works."

She grinned at me and shook her head.  "I didn't realize I could make your brain stop just by kissing you or I'd have done it a lot sooner."

"I just wish it was as easy to make yours stop," I grumbled.

"Won't ever happen," she replied.

"I know," I said, smiling.  "It's one of the things I like about you."  She rolled her eyes.  I pulled her against me and kissed her again.  "Saturday," I said when we broke apart.

"Saturday," she repeated.  We stood there silently for about 3 seconds before she said, "Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight," I replied.  We smiled, and she unlocked her door and disappeared into her apartment.

"Saturday," I repeated softly to myself, as I turned and walked down the hall.







12 comments:

  1. "Don't leave me now brain. I need you." Oh my goodness-love it. Thank you so much for this blog,your writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you for posting tonight. After a rough day that included an ER visit with my son, I really needed this.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( I hope he's okay. I'm glad I could distract you for a couple minutes, at least.

      Delete
  3. Every day next week?!? I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!! This was even more amazing than I could have hoped!!! Thank you so much for the bonus!!!

    You're my favorite blog and you deserves all 300k+ views!! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked the post and that you like the blog :)

      Delete
  5. oooo congratulations!!! And yaaaay for a week of posts :D!

    I rly liked this post, its sweet that they were both super nervous

    - Dahlia

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good! It's gonna be a GREAT week!! mum

    ReplyDelete