Friday, March 27, 2015

Part of the Family

Well, holy shit.  We hit 400,000 views!  It completely snuck up on me, too.  I mean, I knew it was coming in the near future, but it came a lot quicker than I was anticipating.  However, it has perfect timing, because I'm on spring break from school and my internship.  Now, usually I've done a post every day for these big milestones, and that's always been really easy when I've had a dozen plus posts in reserve.  I can't promise that this time, but there will be bonuses, starting today!  I'm aiming for at least 4 posts this week.  Thank you guys so much for reading!
_________________________________

"Fuuuuckk."

I rolled over and squinted at Brody in early morning light.  His groaning was not the most cheerful alarm clock in the world.  "Do you need some water?" I asked sleepily.

"I need a do-over on last night so I can stop 4 drinks sooner," he replied.  "Jesus Christ, I haven't had a hangover this awful since I lived in this godforsaken city.  Do you have aspirin or something?"

"In my purse, do you want me to get it?" I really just wanted him to be quiet and go back to sleep, but I had a feeling that wasn't happening without some intervention, and I understand awful hangovers.

"No, I can get it."  He got up slowly and unsteadily and stumbled out of the bedroom to find my purse.  Frankly, I would have been shocked if he wasn't still drunk.   He came back in after a couple minutes and laid back down, rolling onto his side with his back to me.  I shrugged and rolled back over and tried to go back to sleep.

I must have succeeded because the next time I opened my eyes, the light filtering in around the curtains was less gray dawn and more bright mid-morning.  I rolled over to see how Brody was fairing, and discovered the bed next to me empty.  I found my phone and saw it was a little before 9.  I needed to be to the airport by about 1:30, so I got up and got in the shower.

I stood under the spray of the shower head for a long time.  This hadn't been a fun trip, and I felt exhausted even though I had slept for nearly 9 hours.  It had definitely taken an emotional toll on me, so I couldn't even imagine how Brody felt.

When I finally emerged from the bathroom, wrapped in the soft hotel robe, I heard movement out in the living area of the suite.  I walked out and found Brody sitting on the couch with a spread of coffee, Gatorade, bagels, and something that smelled vaguely of bacon on the coffee table in front of him. 

"Good morning," I said, coming out and sitting next to him.  "Feeling better?"

"A little," he replied, grimacing.  "Getting up and taking aspirin and drinking some water helped.  I felt a little more human when I woke up again.  A shower helped a little more.  I'm hoping coffee, bagels, and a greasy breakfast sandwich finish the job.  There's a sandwich with ham instead of bacon in there for you, if you want it."

"You're already doing better than I would be," I commented as I pulled the breakfast sandwich out of the bag.  "I'd still be laying in bed swearing.  I definitely would not have gone out and gotten my own hangover food.  Thank you, by the way."

He chuckled.  "I figured I owed you one from last night.  I was a real shit show, huh?  I'm really sorry."

"You needed a night like that, I think," I responded.  "Don't worry about it.  It's not like I've never been a drunken mess."

Brody shrugged.  "I did need it," he said softly.  "Look, about our conversation last night...thanks.  I mean, I clearly needed to talk, and I'm glad it was to you.  So thank you for listening."  I nodded, and we ate in silence for a couple minutes.

"What are your plans for today, then?" I asked finally.

"I stopped by my mom and Jen's room and talked to them this morning.  Sounds like they made a ton of progress yesterday at the house and it's almost done.  Jen is flying back in the morning, so she and my mom are taking the day off and doing some fun stuff.  I'm going to spend the morning with you, then after I drop you off I'll head over to the house, and then I'll meet my mom and Jen for dinner tonight.  They asked if we wanted to meet them for lunch before you head back, too."

"Works for me, if you want to," I replied.  He nodded and grabbed his phone, presumably to text Jen.

"Do you want to do anything in particular before lunch?" he asked, after he had sent the text.

I shook my head.  "Not really.  To tell the truth, I'm pretty exhausted for some reason."

"Wrangling a drunk man will do that to a person," he joked.  We laid together on the couch, watching some stupid movie we had found, until it was time to get ready to head out.  I got dressed, pulled my hair back, and quickly packed up my stuff.  Brody carried my carry-on down to car and drove us to the restaurant where we were meeting his mom and sister for lunch. 

"You're looking much perkier, Brody," Jen said with a grin when we walked in.  She turned to me.  "Hi, Liv!"  I greeted her and Thalia and we sat down.  Brody had told me a little about his sister's relationship (or rather lack of relationship) with their dad, but I was still surprised at her cheer this morning.  It was certainly better than any alternative, however.

We had a nice lunch, and it was almost as if we were gathered in Miami for a cheerful event instead of the real reason we were there.  Thalia and Jen chatted cheerfully with me about various things, and Brody joked with us too.  The mood was far different than yesterday's, and it was a relief.

I excused myself to use the restroom, and Jen stood and said she'd join me.  As we got out of earshot of the table, she looked at me and said, "I don't know what you did after you guys left yesterday, but thank you.  He's a different person today, and I'm not going to have to leave here wanting to strangle him."

"Hmm, I'm not sure if it was the beach, the liter of vodka, or the drunken midnight therapy session, but I agree with you...he seems much better today." I said. 

"Thank you so much for coming down here.  He needed this.  I hope it gets him through the rest of this week."

"I was happy to," I replied.  "It was good to see you, too.  Next time can we make it under happier circumstances?"

She pushed open the door to the women's bathroom and surprised me by pulling me into a tight hug.  "Yes.  I'm so glad Brody has you in his life." She pulled back and regarded me carefully, holding me an arm's length away.  "If he fucks this up and doesn't officially make you a part of this family, I will disown him and marry you myself."

I blushed.  I wondered how much Brody talked to her, and if she knew about our recent argument about me moving in with him.  I hoped she didn't, and she gave no indication of it as she let me go and disappeared into one of the stalls.  The idea of being a part of their family made me smile, despite my reluctance to seriously consider moving on that quite yet. 

We finished up in the bathroom and walked back to the table.  Brody and his mom were having a serious-looking discussion that stopped as we drew nearer.  I looked at him curiously but he just smiled and squeezed my hand under the table.

We sat and chatted for a few more minutes, until Brody looked at his watch and said, "We'd better get you to the airport."

Thalia and Jen walked us out, and I hugged them both as Brody went to get his rental car.  When he pulled up in front of the restaurant I said goodbye and got in.  "I wish I could stay longer," I said wistfully, looking out the windows at the palm trees as we drove towards the airport.  I wanted a real vacation.  We should be in San Diego right now, I reflected silently.  But life happens.

When we pulled up in drop off/pick up zone at the airport, I took my time getting out, even as people hustled and bustled quickly around me.  Brody already had my bag out of the back by the time I shut my door and made my way over to him.  

He pulled me into a tight hug, pressing his cheek against the top of my head.  "Thank you for coming down," he said softly.  I nodded against his chest.  I don't know what had come over me, but I felt like I was about to have a meltdown.  I just wanted him to be coming back to Denver with me.  I wanted things to be normal.  I took a deep, shaky breath and squeezed him a little tighter, and I got it together quickly before he could notice.  I didn't need him worrying about me on top of everything else.

When he pulled away, he quickly took my face in his hands and kissed me gently.  "I have meetings with potential buyers for the company on Wednesday and Thursday," he reported.  "I'd like to be out of here Thursday evening, but it depends on how things go.  It might be Friday."

"Okay," I said, forcing a smile.  He pushed a piece of unruly hair behind my ear and kissed me again.

"Alright, let's go, people are waiting!" called an airport employee, staring right at us.  I glared at him, which caused Brody to chuckle.  We said our goodbyes and I wheeled my carry-on into the airport, glaring again the airport employee, even though we had been in the way and he was just doing his job.

Still exhausted, I slept most of the way back.  The drive into town from DIA was painful, and all I wanted by the time I pulled up to my house was my bed.  I half-hoped that Lauren wasn't home, because I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

But Lauren's car was in the driveway and Alex's car was in front of the house when I finally made it home.  Alex stood up to grab my bag as I hauled my shit inside, and I was grateful for that.  "Thanks," I managed, smiling weakly.

Lauren hugged me.  "How's he doing?" she asked worriedly.  Alex looked concerned as well.

"It was a rough weekend," I admitted.  "Yesterday was ugly.  He seemed a little better today though."

Lauren made a sympathetic face.  "Are you hungry?" she asked.  "We picked up some stuff for dinner, but we have way too much."  I shook my head.  "Okay," she said.  "Well, I'm sure there will be some left later if you change your mind."

"Thanks, Laur," I said.  I kicked my shoes off and eyed up my carry-on.  Just the thought of carrying it upstairs was too much.

"Don't forget about Cassie," Alex said suddenly.  I looked up in confusion.

"Right!" Lauren exclaimed.  "Cassie stopped by.  She obviously heard about what happened through the work grapevine.  She said to ask you to stop by when you were back and feeling up to it."  I nodded again.  "Alex and I can go upstairs," Lauren offered.  "You look beat."

"I am," I agreed.  "But that's okay.  I think I'm just going to go lay down for a little while.  I'm so drained."

"Tell Brody we love him," she said in parting.  I decided I could get my carry-on in the morning, and headed upstairs.  When I made it up to my room, I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and changed into comfortable shorts and a t-shirt, then laid down in bed and called Brody.

"Home?" he asked, by way of greeting.

"Yeah," I replied.  "Lauren loves you."

"Huh?"

"Lauren wanted me to tell that we--I mean 'they' love you," I clarified.  "I think she and Alex are worried about you."

"That makes so much more sense.  You sound exhausted."

"I am...I have no idea why though.  I guess just a lot of traveling in a couple days.  But how are you?"

"Better than I was yesterday, that's for sure," he replied.  "I just got back to the room after having dinner with my mom and Jen.  They love you, you know."

"So Jen said," I responded.

"Wait, what did Jen say?"

I chuckled.  "I believe her exact words were, 'If he fucks this up and doesn't officially make you a part of this family, I will disown him and marry you myself.'"

"And did you freak out and drive into a snowbank?" he teased me.

"I tried, but I couldn't find a snowbank anywhere near the restaurant, so I just came back.  Apparently it's too hot in Miami."  He laughed then, and it felt good to joke with him.  I was relieved, because I didn't know what to make of Brody when he wasn't quite himself.  

"But seriously, I love that my family loves you," he said.

"I love that you love that your family loves me," I replied, then paused to make sure I got that right.

"God, you're a pain.  Stop ruining all the potentially sappy moments."  I could see him in my head, shaking his head and rolling his eyes at me. 

I stifled a yawn, then said, "I'm sorry, I love you.  And I love your family."

"Good, because I hope you're going to be officially part of it someday."

I smiled, even though he couldn't see me.  "I hope so too."



4 comments:

  1. Aww so sweet! Hopefully they will move in together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and the direction they're heading. These are tough tough moments in any relationship and I think L & B are realizing they are each the person the other wants to turn to in life's toughest moments knowing the other will be there. I hope this turns into Liv wanting to come home to Brody, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have that person, and it seems like they're both able to support the other when the shit hits the fan.

      Delete