Sunday, May 24, 2015

Busy

Eeek!  Sorry guys.  I thought I had this scheduled to post this afternoon but apparently I did not.  I didn't even realize it until I got home.  

I'm baaaaaack!  Let's be real, I never actually left.  If you don't know what I'm talking about (because you believed me when I said I was out for a couple weeks), you'll want to scroll on down.  I posted 3 posts randomly during my break (plus an author's note or two)--some Liv backstory, and two regular storyline posts.  You'll definitely want to read those before continuing on with this post.

Also, we're going to hit 500,000 views this week, eeeee!  That's crazy to me.  This little blog isn't even a year old yet.  So, as I mentioned a couple times, this week is reader's request week!  Here's what I have planned:  Today, Wednesday, and Saturday's posts will be regular story line.  Monday will be Lauren's perspective, Tuesday will be Kinsley's perspective, and Thursday is TBD at this point--but will probably be Brody's perspective.  Friday will be the first in a 3 part series of some of Liv's college years.  


Thanks to every one of you for helping me make this blog amazing.  You're all awesome!
_______________________________


When Brody warned me that he'd be crazy busy when we got home, he wasn't kidding.  Monday morning he was gone by 6am.  I rolled out of bed around 9, started some laundry, and did a little cleaning.  Then I headed into town, went to the gym, then picked up some groceries.  I decided I'd been productive enough for the day and parked myself on the couch with my Kindle.  About 45 minutes into reading, I decided to take a nap.  I felt a little guilty taking a nap while Brody was already back at work, but there was no sense in me not enjoying my last day of vacation.

I got up in time to get ready for dinner.  I was meeting Lauren and Kinsley in town to eat and catch up on their lives.  I was the first one to the restaurant we'd picked, so I got a table, texted them, and waited.  Kinsley showed up just a couple minutes later, and we ordered drinks while we waited for Lauren.

I noticed Kinsley looking at my hands a few times and finally said, "What are you doing?"

She grinned guiltily.  "Lauren thought there was a chance you'd come back with a diamond on your left hand," she admitted.  "But I didn't want to say anything, because I knew you'd look at me exactly the way you're looking at me right now.  So I was trying to be subtle, but I clearly failed."

"Subtletly is not one your strengths, Kins," I said with a laugh.

"No fucking kidding," Lauren said, appearing at the table.

Kinsley cocked an eyebrow at me.  "Speaking of subtlety..." she quipped quietly, and we laughed.

"No ring?" Lauren asked, her gaze on my left hand.  I rolled my eyes.  Kinsley shook her head.  Lauren frowned.  "I was so sure," she muttered.

"Sorry to disappoint," I said wryly.

"Would you have even said yes?" Kinsley asked.

I shrugged.  Honestly, the thought of Brody proposing while we were on our trip hadn't even crossed my mind.   "I wouldn't have said no," I replied finally.

Lauren gave me a weird look.  "What does that even mean?  So if you don't say no, isn't that a yes?"

"I guess so," I said, shrugging.  "I don't know!  It's not something I had thought about.  If he had proposed, I would have been blindsided and I don't know what I would have done."

"Well, tell us about what you did do!" Kinsley broke in, saving me from having to come up with a better response than that.

I flushed slightly, and Lauren laughed.  "Apparently they had a lot of sex," she said to Kinsley.

"Jesus, Lauren, you have no tact at all," I snapped, but I was laughing.  I told them that I didn't have much to tell, since we spent pretty much the entire time in the room, on the terrace, at the beach, or at the pool.  "We considered wandering around the closest town one day, but in the end we were too lazy.  Next time I definitely want to get off the resort and explore some more, though."

"And you weren't bored?" Lauren asked skeptically.

"No," I replied.  "It was easily the best trip I've ever been on.  He didn't check his email or talk to work or about work a single time.  It was amazing."

Lauren looked impressed.  "I didn't think he had it in him to actually disconnect from work for a whole week," she said.

"Neither did I," I admitted.  "But he did it.  I'm sure he'll pay for it this week though."

We chatted through the rest of dinner.  Lauren talked about getting settled her new (my old) place, and Kinsley talked about Damien's family.  She had been spending more time with them lately, but she wasn't getting along very well with Damien's sister.  Lauren and I empathized with her and gave her some ideas for winning her over.

Then Kinsley asked, "Have you heard from Cassie?"

I had put Cassie and that whole incident out of my head and I frowned.  "No, and I hope I don't."

Lauren, reading my nonverbals, quickly changed the subject, and the rest of our dinner was pleasant and positive.  We lingered after we ate, ordering dessert to share, and continued to catch up.  It felt good to be able to sit with them and talk about things that weren't just how awful everything had been.

We finally parted ways around 9, and I got home at 9:30.  Brody still wasn't home and I sighed.  I already missed seeing him all the time, but it was nice to have time to do my own stuff and hang out with Lauren and Kinsley too.  I started to get ready for bed and by the time I was done, Brody had appeared, looking exhausted.

"Hi, beautiful," he said, yanking his tie off and kissing me.  "The house looks nice, thank you for cleaning and getting groceries."

"You're welcome," I said, thankful that he had noticed.  "Should I even ask how your day was?"

He chuckled and sat down on the bed to pull off his shoes.  "It wasn't too bad, considering I was gone for a week," he replied.  "Just long."  He pulled his jacket off and laid down on the bed.  I laid next to him and he pulled me close.  "This week is going to be crazy, but once I get caught up, it should get better."  I nodded, and we laid like that for a couple more minutes before Brody got up to finish getting ready for bed.  I fell asleep almost as soon as he came back and snuggled up behind me, wrapping an arm around me.

It was tough to go back to work on Tuesday.  It took me forever to feel fully awake and engaged in what I was doing.  Once I got back into my routine, though, it felt much easier.  Brody got home around 9 that night and warmed up the food I'd made for dinner, then we cuddled on the couch for about a half hour before we both went to bed.

On Wednesday, Brody texted me that he'd be really late.  Like, "don't wait up" late.  I frowned as I read the text.  I was disappointed, because I was hoping we could at least have a late dinner together tonight.  I stayed later than usual at work, finishing up some paperwork before heading out.  On my way out, I decided I'd pick dinner up instead of cooking; that way I could drop something off for Brody, at least.  I got food for myself and food for Brody and drove to his office.

When I got up to his office, I was surprised to find the receptionist still there, even though it was nearly 7.  She seemed to recognize me, though the recognition didn't warm up her chilly face at all.  "Miss Saffiano?" she asked, as I approached the desk.  When I nodded, she picked up her phone.

"Wait," I said.  "I know he's super busy, I just want to drop this off for him."

She pursed her lips and sighed before saying, "I have very specific instructions to call him if you ever come in. No matter what he's doing."

"I really don't want to bother him," I protested.

"And I really don't want to piss him off," she replied icily.  She picked up the phone, hit a button with more force than was necessary, and successfully avoided my gaze.  "Miss Saffiano is here," she said curtly.  "Okay."  She hung up the phone and looked up at me.  "He's in his office.  Do you know the way?"

I started walking before she even finished talking, eager to get away.  "I do, thanks," I said over my shoulder.  When I got to Brody's office, the door was open just a crack.  I knocked and nudged it open a little more.

"Come on in," he called.  He was typing but he stopped, stood, and walked towards the door.  "Hi," he greeted me with a tired smile.

"Hi," I replied.  I stood on my tiptoes to kiss him.  "I'm sorry, I tried to just drop this off for you," I said, holding up the food.  "But your lovely receptionist insisted on calling you."

"That's because she follows directions," he said with a grin.  "I'm glad she did.  Will you stay and eat with me?  I can take a quick break."

"Sure," I said, smiling back.

Shortly after we got settled on his couch with our food, someone knocked on the door.  Brody frowned and looked at his watch.  "Come in!" he called.  The door slid open and a harried looking man walked in with an iPad.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said, sneaking a curious look at me, "but this needs to go out and I need you to approve it."  He handed the iPad to Brody.  Brody took it and looked it over.  While he looked it over, the man turned to me.  "Hi," he said, extending his hand.  "I'm Pete."

I smiled.  "Olivia," I introduced myself, shaking his hand.

"Of course," Pete said, returning my smile.  "Did you have fun in Mexico?"

"I did, thanks!" I replied.  "It was nice to get a break."

"Good to hear," he said.  "We're awfully glad to have Brody back though."

"I'm sure," I said, chuckling.  Brody looked up and handed back the iPad.  He made a suggestion for a change and then Pete said goodbye to me and hurried back out.  "You've got everyone working late," I teased Brody.

"You have no idea.  It's been awful today.  Is it a full moon tonight or something?  I don't know how else to explain it."

"Nope," I said, shaking my head.  "Just one of those days, apparently."

He sighed.  "Well, if I'd like to get home while it's still today and not tomorrow, I should get back to it.  Thank you for dinner, and I'm sorry I'll be here so late.  I'll try to be home at a more reasonable time tomorrow."

"Don't apologize," I said firmly.  "You're welcome."

He stood and stretched and said, "I'll walk you out."  I tried to protest but he insisted he needed to stretch his legs anyway.  He kept one hand on my lower back as we walked out.  When we got to the desk, Brody nodded at the receptionist.  "Go ahead and go home, Arlene," he said kindly.  "Thanks for staying this long."

"Of course, Mr. Adler," she purred.  "Do you need anything before I go?"

"No I don't, thanks," Brody replied politely.  "Have a good night."  He walked with me to the suite doors and pushed one open.  He slid his other arm around my waist and pulled me close to him.  "Drive safe," he said softly.  "Call me if you need me."

I smiled. "I will, and I will," I assured him.  "I love you."

"I love you too, Liv.  Goodnight."  I said goodnight and headed towards the elevator down.

Try as I might, I couldn't get comfortable when I went to bed that night.  I felt weird in Brody's bed without him.  I tossed and turned and finally dozed off after about an hour.  I woke up again when I felt the mattress sink slightly next to me.  In the darkness I could just make out Brody's shape, settling onto his side with his back to me.  I scooted closer and pressed my body against his back, wrapping my arm around him.

"You should be asleep," he said softly.  "I'm sorry I woke you."

"I hadn't been asleep for long.  It felt weird without you."

In the dark, his hand found mine and he wove his fingers between mine.  "I'm sorry," he said again.

"I feel like our trip made things worse for you."  The words were out before I could even fully process the thought, and I instantly regretted it.

"No," he said firmly, his voice too loud in the quiet room.  "Not even close.  I needed that time off.  I needed to spend it with you.  I'd work ten 17-hour days for another week off with you.  Today was particularly heinous, but it would have been just as bad if I had been in the office all last week, I promise."

"Okay," I said, pressing my forehead against his shoulder.


When I got to work the next day, Katelyn, our receptionist, smiled broadly at me.  "There was a delivery for you about 10 minutes ago," she said brightly.  "I put it on your desk."

I looked at her curiously.  She just smiled wider.  "Okay," I replied.  "Thank you."

When I got to my office I saw a gorgeous bouquet of flowers on my desk.  I grinned.  I was reading the card (which said, "Because why not?  I had the most amazing week with you.  Thank you for being so patient and understanding.  I love you.") when I heard Josh's voice behind me.  "You guys haven't been back a week and he's already screwed up badly enough to warrant a bouquet that size, huh?"

I gritted my teeth and forced a polite smile onto my face.  "Actually," I replied, "Sometimes people send flowers just because."

He snorted.  "Of course," he replied.  "Flowers don't really say 'I'm sorry I fucked up,' when you're worth as much as he is.  I'm sure you get diamonds when he's really sorry."

I laughed.  "Oh no, diamonds are 'just because' too," I said snottily.  "I get houses when he's really sorry.  I hope next time he only fucks up a little, because I'm good on houses now, but I'd love a new car."  Then I turned my back to him and shifted the flowers to my window sill.  When I turned around again, he was gone.

I managed to avoid him for the rest of the day.  After work I went to the gym and then headed home, where I was pleasantly surprised to find Brody already.  I threw my arms around him and greeted him happily.  He laughed and hugged me back, then made a face at me.  "You're sweaty," he complained.
"Sorry, I was just excited to see you already home," I apologized.  "I need to shower quick, and then I'll make something for dinner."

Brody grinned and kissed me, then said, "I picked something up, so go shower and then we can eat.  I waited for you."

I headed upstairs and took a quick shower, then pulled on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.  When I got downstairs, Brody was taking out silverware and putting Thai takeout on the table.  "Ooh, that smells good," I said happily, sitting down in the chair Brody pulled out for me.  "Thank you.  How'd you manage to get home so early?"

"I'm the boss, remember?" he said, grinning.  "I wanted to see you while we were both actually awake tonight.  And I couldn't focus anymore, I had to get out of there."

"Well I'm definitely not complaining," I said.  "This week has been just as bad as you warned me it would be."

We chatted as we ate, and Brody told me his idea of having some of his employees and their significant others over for a cook out next weekend as a thank you for working so hard while he was gone.  I thought it was a good idea and told him I'd help plan it.  I was also eager to meet some more of his employees.

As we cleaned up together after dinner, I asked, "What's this weekend going to look like?"

Brody frowned.  "More of the same, unfortunately.  I'll probably work late tomorrow night and all day Saturday.  Sunday I'll work from home in the morning.  I'm on call, so I can't make any promises, but we can try to spend some time together Sunday afternoon."

"I'd like that," I said.  "I think I'll make some plans with Lauren and Kinsley for Saturday."  I picked up my phone to send them a quick text, but Brody grabbed it.

"You'll have to wait to make those plans," he said, cocking an eyebrow at me.

"Oh really?  Why's that?"

"Because you're busy right now," he replied.

"I am?" I asked.

"Yup."  He set my phone on the counter and pushed his hands into my hair, kissing me hard.  I guess I was busy after all.








6 comments:

  1. Bad vibes from Arlene! I wonder if she'll cause drama at the workout. Looking forward to the week full of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual you're amazing! Great post & wonderful writing!!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock!! A post from Brody on Thursday would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Josh has finally gotten on my last nerve. His nasty remarks are bordering on creating a hostile workplace. How can he not know that personal comments like he keeps making to Liv are not acceptable? I don't mean just socially, either. The things he says are very unprofessional. It will be interesting to see how the cookout plays out, since he is Neil's brother in law (if memory serves) and Neil works for Brody. That means Josh's sister would be there with Neil at the cookout. I wonder what her perspective is?
    Nice little aside about Cassie. Maybe she might resurface? I expect Kinsley might run into her from time to time since she is with Damien and he is James' buddy. I get why Olivia wants nothing to do with Cassie, but I hope there is no future awkwardness.
    As usual, this was a fun post. I look forward to the other perspectives and the furthering of those storylines. I am really liking Liv's backstory, BTW. It is fleshing out her character nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a post from josh POV would be interesting. Find out what makes him tick, ya know?!

      Charli
      Dating-and-commitment.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. Yes, Josh was out of line, but I love Olivia's come backs! Lol

    ReplyDelete