Thursday, October 8, 2015

What's in Boulder?

Brody got up around 9.  I knew that because at 9:10 I got a text from him that said, "Where are we going?"

I laughed and texted back, "Who said we're going anywhere?  Pack for two nights."

I didn't get a response before the next client came in. I stayed focused on work the rest of the day. This was my last day until after our wedding and honeymoon and I was in disbelief.

Jake appeared in my doorway during the 20 minutes I'd allowed myself to eat a quick lunch. "I know we haven't gotten the positions posted, but I haven't heard from you," he said.

"That's because I'm not applying," I answered.

He gave me a look that I couldn't quite read, then said, "Why not?"

"Right now I want to focus on being an excellent clinician. I'm interested in management but I have a lot more to learn about just being a therapist first."

Jake considered this, then nodded. "I have a lot of respect for that. Let us know if there are opportunities we can provide that will help you do that."

"Thank you," I replied graciously.

"We take care of our good employees." He turned and started out, then stopped. "I hope your wedding and honeymoon are great," he said genuinely. "Congratulations."

I thanked him again and got back to work. I was eager to get going once my last client left. Finally, my day was done and I said goodbye to the people I was friendly with and headed home.

Brody met me in the kitchen. "What do you have planned?" he asked, feigning a casual tone.

"We both need to relax. So that's what we're going to do," I replied. "Did you pack?"

"I over packed because I have no idea what I need," he said.

"And that's only for the weekend," I teased. "Imagine trying to pack for a honeymoon that way."

"Hey, I told you what to pack," he protested.

"Yeah, I believe you said, 'as little as possible,'" I reminded him, rolling my eyes.

He laughed.  "And I stand by that statement."

"Well, it's not helpful.  Are you ready?  We should go."

He shrugged, throwing his hands up in defeat.  "I guess," he said.  He smiled though, and caught my arm, tugging me towards him.  "I love you," he said, embracing me tightly.

"I love you too," I replied, my voice muffled against his chest.

Once we were in the car, he looked at me curiously.  "Are we going far?" he asked.

"No," I replied.  "We're going to Boulder."

"To Boulder," he repeated skeptically.

"To Boulder," I replied, smirking.

"What's in Boulder?"

"A nice hotel that happened to have a really nice suite available for the weekend.  I thought we could use a relaxing, distraction-free weekend together.  I knew if we were home I'd feel like I needed to be productive."

"That's an amazing idea," Brody said.  "We definitely need that."  He settled back against the seat, closing his eyes.  Neither of us had been getting much sleep lately.  Brody had also been complaining of a tight, sore neck and I'd had a headache almost every day for the last week.  We were worn out, snapping at each other, and not in a very good place to go into our last week before the wedding.  Especially because my parents and Jen were going to be staying with us--my parents for the whole week, and Jen from Wednesday evening on.

The drive went quickly, since we were able to leave early enough to beat Friday rush hour traffic.  We got checked in and went straight up to our top floor, two room suite.  The suite had a king sized bed in a separate bedroom, a full living area, a huge bathroom with a separate tub and shower, and a large balcony with a beautiful view of the Flatiron Mountains.

I was on the balcony enjoying the view when the door slid open behind me and Brody came out.  He wrapped one arm around me from behind and pushed my hair to one side so he could press his lips to the back of my neck.  Between Brody being gone for work and our hectic week, it had been two weeks since we had sex, which was a really long time for us.  I wasn't at all surprised that he wasn't wasting any time.

I let him kiss and nibble along my neck until he put his hands on my hips and turned me around to face him.  I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer to me.  "I've missed you a lot lately," he said softly before catching my earlobe between his teeth and gently tugging.

"Missed me, or missed having sex with me?" I teased.

"Both," he replied, and I felt his lips move into a smile against my neck.  "But I probably missed you more."

"You sure know how to sweet talk a woman," I said, laughing and pressing my forehead against his chest.  I breathed in his scent and sagged against him, suddenly exhausted.

"Let's go lay down," Brody suggested.  I agreed and followed him back into the room.

We both took off most of our clothes and climbed under the blankets on the bed.  I sighed happily as I settled onto the amazing mattress--it was soft and comfortable, but still the perfect amount of support.  I immediately wanted to take it home with us.

"Thank you for planning this," Brody said as I got comfortable with my head on his chest and my arm wrapped around his torso.  "This is perfect."

"Mmmhmm," I agreed, already starting to drift off.  Brody pushed my hair behind my ear and slid his fingers along my jaw, then rested his hand on my shoulder and stroked my neck lightly.

"Is there anything we need to be up for?" he asked softly.

I shook my head.  "Nothing planned for tonight," I replied.

"Good," he said.  He continued to stroke my neck and I was asleep in minutes.

It was getting dark in our room when I woke up again.  Neither Brody or I had moved, and I groaned and rolled onto my back, rolling my neck to each side.  Brody woke up when I rolled away, and he immediately rolled onto his side and wrapped his arm around my waist.  "Where are you going?" he mumbled sleepily.

"Nowhere," I replied.  "My neck is stiff from sleeping like that for..." I paused and turned my head to see the clock.  "Holy shit, for almost 4 hours.  We aren't going to sleep tonight."

"That's okay," Brody said.  He pulled me closer and slipped his fingers beneath the hem of the tank top I was wearing.  "I can think of plenty of ways we could occupy our time."  He dragged his fingers across my stomach and I turned my head to kiss him.  His hand clamped around my hip and tugged, pulling me towards him, then slipped behind my back and pulled until I was on top of him.  I shifted so I was straddling his hips and leaned down to kiss him again.

Both Brody's hands slid under my tank top and up my back.  He curled his fingers into my shoulder blades, then slid his hands back down and grabbed my top by the hem, pulling it upwards.  I straightened and he sat up with me, pulling it over my head and wrapping his arms around me.  He brushed his lips against mine, then kissed my cheek and my jaw before moving his lips down to my neck.  Brody made his way down my neck to my collarbone, each kiss growing increasingly purposeful and intense.

I moaned as his teeth found my nipple.  I was so distracted by what he was doing with his mouth that I didn't even notice his hand sliding up my inner thigh until he pressed his thumb against me.  "Brody," I groaned, closing my eyes and digging my fingers into his arms.  I was so starved for his touch that I came in what seemed like seconds.  Brody slid his hands slowly up and down my back as I recovered, then eased himself back down into a laying position.  I shifted and he guided himself into me.

When we were finished, we laid in a heap, tangled together for several minutes without moving or speaking.  Even though we had napped for almost four hours, I was still tired and he clearly was too.  I was also hungry.  "Should we order room service?" I asked, finally breaking our silence.

Brody laughed.  "We just had, arguably, the best sex we've had in at least a month, and you're concerned about dinner?"

"Do you know me at all?" I asked.

Brody untangled his limbs from mine and rolled over.  He stood and grabbed the hotel information book off the small desk in the corner of the bedroom.  Then he turned on the lamp next to the bed, found the page with the room service menu, and handed it to me.  When we had made our choices, Brody called our order in, then settled himself back in bed next to me.

We quickly got bored waiting for our food to come and ended up having sex again.  It took forever for the food to arrive, so I had almost fallen asleep again when I heard a faint knock at the door.  Brody got up and pulled his jeans on, then went to answer the door.  I pulled my tank top and underwear back on, and as soon as the door had shut again, I went out into the living area.

My fear of us not sleeping that night was unfounded.  Within 15 minutes of finishing our dinner we were back in bed.  Brody reached for the remote and turned on the TV, and I snuggled against his side while he flipped through the channels.  He stopped on a rerun of a show I'd seen at least a dozen times, and we were both asleep before the next commercial break.





2 comments:

  1. So very normal. And that's OK!! :) mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use some of all of that right now!

    ReplyDelete