Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Boss

My last two days of work were completely uneventful.  I finished all my paperwork by mid-afternoon on Tuesday and spent the next hour packing up my stuff and saying goodbye to my coworkers.

I was out of the office by 4, and not ready to go home yet.  It was actually pretty mild outside, so I dumped my stuff in my car and walked to a coffee shop halfway between my now-former office and Brody's office.  I picked up two coffees and walked the rest of the way to Brody's office.  I scanned the directory of the huge building and took the elevator up to the 8th floor suite.

The receptionist regarded me coolly as I approached the desk.  "Hi, I'm here to see Brody Adler," I said cheerfully.

She smirked at me.  "Mr. Adler is very busy.  Do you have an appointment?"

"I don't, and I understand if he's with a client or in a meeting, but could you maybe just call him and tell him that Olivia is here, please?"  I gave her my sweetest smile, not that it mattered much.  I could just call him myself.  She rolled her eyes and picked up the phone with an expression on her face that said that she was just humoring me.  Her face registered surprise after speaking quietly to him, and it was my turn to smirk at her as she hung up the phone and stood.

"He asked me to bring you back immediately," she said scornfully.  Then she stood and strode away without another word.  I followed her quickly as she turned right and left through the maze of hallways.  The office was much bigger than it looked from outside.  Finally, she stopped and knocked at a closed door.  It swung open right away and Brody smiled widely.

"Hi," he greeted me.  "If I would have known you were coming I would have arranged a bit of a warmer welcome."  He turned to his receptionist and smiled warmly.  "This is my girlfriend, Olivia.  Please let me know right away if she swings by again in the future."  The receptionist snorted derisively and stalked off.  I handed him the coffee I had gotten him and he smiled even wider.  "This is perfect, I'm in serious need of a caffeine fix."  He motioned me and pulled the door shut.  He leaned down and kissed me, a gentle, lingering kiss.  "And I was also in serious need of that.  What are you doing here?"

"I got done with work and wasn't ready to go home, so I thought I'd swing by and hoped you weren't completely swamped.  I won't stay long, I know you're busy."

"I can always take a break for you," he assured me.  "Thank you for the coffee, and sorry about Arlene.  She's damn good at her job, but she's not the friendliest.  Usually that works, but I'm sorry if she was rude to you."

"Nah, she was just doing her job," I said, sitting next to him on a small sofa that faced his windows overlooking downtown Denver.  I looked around his office, which was huge.  We sat and talked for about 10 minutes before he frowned at his computer, which kept making the chiming sound that signified a new email.

"I'll get going and let you get back to work," I said, standing.

"Sorry," he said, sliding an arm around my waist.  "I'd better get this stuff all wrapped up so I don't have to do it while we're in Wisconsin."

"Don't apologize," I said firmly.  "I'm the one that showed up unannounced in the middle of the day.  I'll see you in the morning, right?"  He nodded and kissed me.  I started to pull away, but he tightened his arm around me and kissed me harder.

"Actually, I think I can spare just a couple more minutes," he murmured in my ear before kissing my neck. His hand slid up my leg, under my skirt, and started to pull on my tights.

"What about...?"  I trailed off, looking back over my shoulder at the door.

He laughed, a low growling sound against my shoulder.  "I'm the boss.  No one comes in without my permission."  He worked my tights over my hips and down my thighs, then pushed my underwear to the side.  I gasped and pushed my hips towards his hand as he touched me.  A knock sounded at the door as I was unbuckling his belt.

"I'm on the phone!" he barked out.  Silence, then receding footsteps.  "See?" he asked, nipping at my earlobe.  "Nothing to worry about."  He pushed me back gently on the sofa and helped me push his pants out of the way.  He slid my skirt up above my hips and pushed into me.  I moaned as he ground his hips against mine.  He put a finger against my lips.  "No one will come in, but I'm not sure how soundproof the walls are," he teased, before thrusting hard.  I bit my lip and pressed my face into his chest. 

When we were finished, we laid tangled together on the tiny couch.  "That was totally worth the extra half hour I'll have to stay tonight to make up for it," he said, nuzzling my hair.

The intercom on his phone buzzed, and his receptionist's crisp, icy voice echoed through the office.  "Jim Moser is here," she said.  Brody quickly disentangled himself from me and buckled his belt as he walked back to his desk.

"I'll be out for him in 5 minutes," he said, pushing the intercom button.  He showed me the bathroom attached to his office and I quickly pulled myself back together.  When I came out, he slipped his arms around my waist and kissed me.  "Thanks for stopping by," he said.  "I'll walk you out."  He kept his hand on my lower back as we walked back through the hallways.

At the front desk he brushed his lips against my cheek.  "I'll see you in the morning," he whispered.  Then he turned to the man with the surly look on his face sitting across from the desk and smiled broadly.  "Mr. Moser, so sorry about the wait.  Did Arlene offer you something to drink?"  I caught the man's sour expression softening as I walked to the elevators.  Apparently, the effect of Brody's charm wasn't even limited to women.

I went home and packed, and finished wrapping the Christmas gifts I was taking with us.  I had had a bunch of stuff already shipped to my parents' house when I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it home, so luckily I just had a few last minute things to bring. 

I was getting ready for bed around 10 when my phone rang.  It was Brody, wondering if he could just come tonight.  I agreed, and then swapped my sweatpants and baggy t-shirt for a pair of leggings and a fitted tank top.  What?

I greeted Brody cheerfully when I pulled open the door.  He stepped in and kissed me, his fingers gripping my hips.  "Hi," he said.  "Missed you."

"Really?  It's been all of 6 hours," I said with a laugh.

"Yeah, well, I wasn't quite ready for you to leave.  Stupid work."  He kissed me again.

"Slow your roll," I said, putting both hands on his chest.  "Don't you want your present?"

"This afternoon wasn't my present?" he asked, grinning.

I shook my head.  "No, but it was probably more fun than your present.  Your present is a little more practical."  I grabbed the wrapped package off the kitchen table and pressed it into his hands.  He sat down on the couch and unwrapped it carefully.  He took the top off the box and pulled out a new leather briefcase.

"Your old one was falling apart," I said.  "It's not as awesome as--"

He cut me off.  "I love it.  It's way better than the old one, and I probably just would have gotten a boring one, so this one is great."  He smiled and kissed me.  "Thank you."  I was glad he seemed to genuinely like it.  I had never been an awesome gift giver, and he had set a high bar with the plane tickets.  "Come here," he said, pulling me towards him.  I settled back against his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.  "Excited to go home?" he asked, running his fingers down my forearm.

I nodded.  "Yes, and happy it's under better circumstances this time," I said.

"How's Lynn?"

"She was doing pretty well when I talked to her this weekend.  They moved her to a rehab facility.  They think she'll be there about a month or so before she's able to go home, but they said that aside from some lingering memory issues, she should be able to make almost a full recovery.  She'll have to stop teaching though, at least for awhile."  This made me the most sad.  She loved teaching. 

Brody tightened his arms around me.  "I'm glad she'll be okay."  I wondered if he was thinking about his sister, and I turned slightly so I could squeeze his arm.  I slid my hand up and massaged his upper arm gently.   We sat there for awhile, and then he kissed me, sliding his hand down my back to my hip.  "It's getting late," he commented.

"It is," I agreed.

"Bed?" he asked, lowering his lips to my neck.  I agreed with that, too.



4 comments:

  1. Ugh! People with attitude upset so much! They should be thankful they even have a job! There are many people looking for a job that are willing to at least put a smile on their face! Lol I loved the post btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she certainly wasn't very friendly huh? And thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad Liv stopped in with coffee, so thoughtful! Sometimes I start feeling like Liv doesn't put in as much effort as Brody (although the posts from Brody's perspective usually make me rethink that), so it's nice to see her doing something sweet and spontaneous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brody is definitely the one that's better at the thoughtful things and little things. Liv is trying but it doesn't seem like it comes as naturally to her as it does to Brody!

      Delete