Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Jumping Through Hoops

It wasn't until I got to work that I realized that I had left my phone at home.  I honestly had no idea where it even was.  My best guess was the couch somewhere.  Oh well.  I made it through the day with only minimal distraction from thinking about the night before.  One of the perks of being busy--you don't have long to think about everything else.  Lauren had made me promise to come to happy hour for last minute planning for Kinsley's birthday, so after work I dutifully drove to the bar.

When I walked in, I saw their table right away and headed towards it.  Suddenly,  my heart jumped into my throat.  Brody was sitting there.  I didn't know he was going to be back already.  Or here, tonight.  I changed my path and made a beeline to the bar.  I was going to need a drink for this.  He caught my eye right before I turned towards the bar.  Shit.

While I was waiting for my drink, Brody approached me.  "Liv," he said tentatively.  "Can we talk?"  I nodded, and when my drink came, Brody led me to an empty table in a deserted corner of the bar.  I set my drink down and let him embrace me tightly.  I breathed in deeply, his scent rousing feelings that I wasn't ready to feel.  Mountains.  He still smells like mountains.  I squeezed my eyes shut tightly for a second before I pulled back. 

We sat.  "So," I asked, before I could stop myself.  "Are you back to pack or back for good?"  He cringed slightly at me throwing his words from two months ago back in his face.   I meant it as a joke, but it came out sounding childish and confrontational. 

"For good," he said, looking at me carefully.  My heart jumped at the words, and I just stared at him for a second.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, after I had processed what he had said.  "That was not how I meant it to come out." I wasn't really sure what else to say, so I said nothing. 

He nodded.  "Liv, I know that you're upset, and you're probably surprised to see me.  I get it.  But please hear me out, okay?" he asked.  I nodded, running my finger along the side seam of my pants to try to distract and calm myself.  He took a deep breath and continued.  "My dad's people weren't pleased with the boss's son waltzing in and taking over, but once they got used to me, I actually really enjoyed the position.  It felt right, it felt natural.  I was good at it."  I was confused.  If it felt right, why was he here?  He saw my confusion and nodded.  "Miami isn't home anymore.  I remembered how much I hated being in the same state as my dad."  He paused.  "And you're not there."

I didn't say anything.  He sighed and went on.  "I didn't want to be under my dad's thumb anymore, and I knew he'd resent me coming back here.  So I bought out my branch.  I used the bonus I got from the 60 days I was there, my share of the stock, and some money I'd been saving, and I made him an offer he tried to refuse, but in the end he couldn't.  My company is really mine now.  My dad isn't my boss anymore, and he can't make me do anything I don't want to do."  He stared at me, almost desperately.

I paused, trying to figure out what to say.  I made eye contact briefly, but couldn't maintain it and quickly looked down.  "Brody," I started, my voice shaky.  I breathed in and tried again.  "Brody, I need you to know that I've been kind of seeing someone."  The words came out haltingly, even with my best effort to steady my voice.

"I know," he said softly.  "Lauren told me."  I silently thanked Lauren.  At least he was prepared.  He tilted my chin up so my eyes met his.  "Can I change that?" he asked.  My skin hummed with electricity where he touched me. 

I was silent for a long moment.  Then I said, "He jumped through a lot of hoops for me.  He deserves a real chance.  I'm sorry."

He dropped his gaze.  As he lowered his eyes, they fell on the fading, hand-shaped bruise around my forearm.  He reached for my arm, and tilted it towards him, holding it gently by the elbow and wrist.  He inspected it, and I watched the muscles in his jaw and neck tighten.  "He didn't do this to you, did he?" he asked, the fury in his voice barely controlled.  He looked up at me again, and I was surprised at the intensity of the anger in his eyes.  I shook my head quickly.

"No," I said, my voice breaking slightly.  "Actually, it's because of him that nothing worse happened."  Brody looked back at the bruise, and touched his fingertips gently to it. 

"Well, I guess if I ever meet him I'll have to thank him for that," he said, releasing my arm.  "Who was it?"

"Some really drunk guy at a bar," I responded.  I didn't think it was a good idea to say that the really drunk guy was James's brother.  He nodded, and I continued, "I, um, should go see Lauren and Kinsley.  I promised to talk to them today about Saturday."  Without waiting for him to reply, I stood.  He stopped me with a hand on my arm.

"Is he coming?  On Saturday?" Brody asked.

"Maybe, I'm not sure," I responded.

"So...is it serious?" he asked tentatively.

I paused, considering how to answer.  "I'm not sure what it is," I said, honestly.  "It's only been a few weeks.  But like I said, he's jumped through a lot of hoops.  I haven't been an easy person to date lately."  Brody nodded but didn't speak, so I turned to go.  I had taken two steps away when he spoke again.

"Liv."  Something about his tone compelled me to turn.  "I jumped through hoops for you too.  And I'll do it again, as many times as I need to."  His green eyes bored into mine, and I just stood there, our eyes locked, for several seconds.  Then I turned quickly and walked over to the table where the rest of the group was sitting. 

Lauren jumped up as I approached and met me several steps from the table.  "I texted you, I tried to warn you," she said, breathlessly.

"My phone is at home somewhere, I was running late this morning and forgot it," I said miserably.  Then I looked at her.  "Thank you.  For trying to warn me, and for warning him about James.  That conversation could have gone much less smoothly."  She looked at me sympathetically.

"You'll have to tell me about it later," she said, squeezing my hand.  "He's coming back."  We walked to the table and sat, and Lauren stuck me between her and Kendra.  We talked about Saturday.  Kinsley asked if James was coming and I said I invited him but needed to call him with details.  She said Damien was coming, which would probably help my cause with James.  I managed to avoid any more awkward conversations with Brody, and left after about an hour and a half.

I found my phone on the couch when I got home and called James.  I gave him the party details, and he said he had plans with friends Saturday morning but that he'd try to stop by at some point during the cook out, otherwise he'd meet us out.  I felt weird talking to him after my conversation with Brody.  Brody, shit.

"Hey, um, I just wanted to let you know that my...a guy I used to date will be there.  Just so you know," I told him.

"Well, you met my brother, I think I can handle meeting an ex," he joked.

We said goodnight, and I went to bed. 


19 comments:

  1. I have to be honest...I like/liked James, but I really, really liked what Liv and Brody had and was excited to see where that may go. I hope all bets are not off there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh Liv why are you playing hard to get with Brody now that he's back??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote is Brody, I respect that she wants to give James a chance, but really I feel like she will end up hurting James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ageee with everyone else, she should let James go, that would be the honorable thing to do before things go any further. Don't give up Brody!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. James is good. But Brody and Liv have a chemistry that I haven't seen with her and James.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not date them both for a little bit? Why must it be one or the other at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think she did the right thing James deserves a chance. Brody left and couldn't promise he would be back so she shouldn't drop everything the second he comes back. I like the fact that she is strong enough to not give up on James and to tell Brody the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why must you pull with my heart strings like this!? Ugh date Brody and have Brody bAbies! It's only logical lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that Brody isn't giving up! He knows by leaving he pushed Liv toward moving on. I'm glad first that she was a factor in him moving back and second that he still wants to be with her even though she is seeing someone else. Win her back Brody!!!!! Pleaaaaaaaaase lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Brody is back! James seems fine, but she doesn't seem to have that connection with him that she does with Brody. Also, James has that psycho brother to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teammmmm BRODY! Ugh they we're so good together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brody, Brody, Brody!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Except Brody isn't exactly an ex. mum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Team Brody all the way James has too much baggage and I am afraid his brother will make another appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG ... I want Brody for me :) .... This is getting interesting, Fight for her Brody ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad Brody is back I want them back together so bad!!
    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh... Brody!!!! I hope Liv makes the decision that she feels is best for her (aka Brody!)

    sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel like she is saying she has to give James a chance, but she is just going to be occupied thinking about brody and comparing them from now on. James is great, but the trouble with his brother was too much. Cut it off and start things back up with Brody!

    ReplyDelete