Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Grand Tour

I didn't sleep well, even though I was exhausted.  I tossed and turned, and when I finally fell asleep, I slept fitfully, waking a lot.  I hadn't realized just how shaken up I still was until after James left.  In the morning, I felt restless even though I hadn't slept.  I called Kinsley to ask if she wanted to go to the gym.  She suggested we go for a walk instead, and I met her halfway between our houses an hour later.

As we walked around the neighborhood, I filled her in on what happened the night before.  I felt shaky and anxious again just recounting it.  She was horrified.  "That is so scary, Liv!" she exclaimed.  "Good thing James went looking for you.  All sorts of awful things could have happened."  She looked at my arm, where an ugly, vaguely hand-shaped bruise now resided.  "And he works for that guy?" she asked incredulously.  I nodded.

"Hopefully he won't do anything stupid, or he might not work for him for long," I said grimly.

"Stupid?  Defending your honor isn't stupid," she replied haughtily.  I rolled my eyes.  "Are you going to see him again?"

"He's coming over on Wednesday," I reported.  Kinsley gave me a funny look.  "It's not his fault his brother is a horrible person," I said defensively.  "I like James.  It's not like I invited his brother too.  And anyway, you were the one that wanted me to go out with him in the first place!"

"That was before his brother assaulted you," Kinsley said.

"Tell me about your dinner with Damien," I said, changing the subject.  She launched into a dramatic retelling of their date, her face lit up.  I grinned.  It was nice to see her so happy.

"He hasn't kissed me yet, though.  Is that normal, do you think?  I haven't gone on more than one actual date with the same person for a long time."

"I think it's fine.  He seems like he might be a slow mover," I assured her. 

"I can handle that," Kinsley said confidently.  "It's weird and different, but it's kind of nice."  I laughed.

We walked for over an hour, enjoying the beautiful day.  The temperature was perfect.   When I got home, I showered and headed to the grocery store to get stuff to make dinner on Wednesday.

I worked long days Monday and Tuesday, and basically got up, got ready, worked, came home, ate, and fell into bed both days.   I didn't leave myself enough time to think, and I was so tired when I got home that I managed to get some sleep, though I did wake up panicking from nightmares about Jordan once each night.

The long days were worth it because I managed to get out of work by 4:30 on Wednesday.  I went home and quickly prepped dinner stuff and put everything in the oven.  I jumped in the shower and got dressed, then ran down to check on the food.  It looked good, so I went back up to finish getting ready.  James was coming over at 7:00 and I wanted things to be as close to done as possible.  I was already hungry.

The doorbell rang at 6:59 and I laughed at his punctuality.  I opened the door and invited him in. 

"It smells amazing in here," he said, looking appreciatively towards the kitchen,  "and it looks good too," he said, turning his gaze back to me and smiling.

"Thanks, I hope it tastes good!"  James raised an eyebrow.  "Um, dinner, I mean..." I clarified awkwardly, my face heating up, which made James laugh.  "Wine, beer, whiskey, or something else?" I asked, quickly.

"Smells like a classy dinner, so I'll go with a classy drink," he said.  "Wine would be great."  I poured two glasses and handed one to him.

"Food will be done in about 10 minutes," I said, sitting on the arm of the chair closest to the kitchen.  "It's roasted chicken and buffalo mac and cheese.  I usually put the chicken in the mac and cheese and make buffalo chicken mac and cheese, but it's not a terribly complete meal that way, so I tried it separately this time.  Hopefully it doesn't suck!"

10 minutes later, I found out that it definitely didn't suck.  It was delicious, and James was impressed.  "I had no idea you could cook," he said.  "I regret to inform you that it's not a talent I possess, so I'm unable to return the favor.  However, I am excellent at ordering take out."  We both laughed.

After dinner, I put the plates in the sink and we walked out to the living room.  We found a movie and put in on, and we sat down.  James put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me against him, and I rested my hand on his thigh and my head on his shoulder.  He began to run one finger lightly up and down my upper arm, raising goosebumps.

About halfway through the movie, I took our wineglasses into the kitchen.  I grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge and turned to walk back out to the living room.  I was startled to see James leaning against the door frame. 

"Hi," I said.  "Did I take too long?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"You did.  I missed you.  So I followed you."  He walked over to me and took the bottles out of my hands.  He set them down on the table, then tucked a wayward piece of hair behind my ear.  I leaned my face against his hand and his fingers gently stroked the tender skin behind my ear.  I slipped my arms around his waist and closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling of his fingertips on my skin. Then his lips were on mine.  I kissed him back and slid my hands under his shirt, my hands exploring the muscles of his lower back.  His free hand looped around my waist, pulling me closer to him.  We stood there for a long time, kissing and allowing our hands to explore.

When he began to undo my bra, I pulled away, breathless.  "Sorry," he said.  "I got a little carried away."

"Don't be, I was just going to see if you, um, wanted a tour of the upstairs of the house," I said, with a mischievous grin.

"Lead on," he said, matching my grin.  I walked up the stairs in front of him, narrating the "tour."

"These are the stairs.  There are 12 stairs total," I said in a monotone voice.

"Fascinating," James replied.

"This is the guest room, but guests can't really stay in it because it's full of my crap.  Here is a linen closet.  It's full of towels.  And here is my bedroom.  There's a bathroom through that door.  It has a really small closet."  James nodded, still grinning.  "And this is the bed," I concluded, turning back to him.

"Looks like a nice bed," he said in a low voice, stepping towards me.  "But I think I need a hands-on demonstration."  He tugged off my shirt and unhooked my bra, sliding it down my arms.  He pulled his own shirt off, and I ran my hands over the hard muscles of his chest and stomach.  He was already working on the button and zipper of my jeans and soon had them around my ankles.  I sat down on the edge of the bed and kicked them away, my eyes still on James's bare chest.

He sat next to me and kissed me hard, and I laid back and pulled him with me.  He trailed a hand up my arm and across my shoulder, then down my chest, his fingers grazing my breast.  His hand continued down my stomach and trailed lightly across my underwear.  I moaned and shifted my hips, trying to get his hand where I wanted it.  He slid my underwear off and knelt on the floor in front of me, pulling them off my feet.  He grabbed me by the legs and pulled me closer to the edge of the bed before lowering his head between my legs.  I gasped and pressed my heels into his back, arching against his mouth.  He put one arm firmly across my hips to keep them still, and teased my body with his tongue.

He got me close, then pulled away.  He slid a finger into me and I moaned.  He brought his tongue back to me and my orgasm was almost instant.  He still had one arm anchoring my hips firmly in place, so I locked my legs around his back and shuddered.  He didn't stop though, and I gripped his arm and the blanket next to me when a second orgasm wracked my body. 

I was still dazed and breathing hard when he asked for a condom.  I pointed in the general direction of my nightstand and heard him rustling around.  He must have found one because I heard the package rip open.  He pulled me up so I was laying completely on the bed and moved on top of me.  I reached down, stroking him before he pushed into me.  I guided him into me and he pushed in slowly, leaning down to kiss my neck.  I brought my hips up to meet him, and he began moving on top of me.

It lacked the frenetic electricity that had driven sex with Brody, but he certainly knew what he was doing.  When we were finished, I was still out of breath and completely spent.  He pulled me against his chest, our sweaty skin sticking together slightly.

"I've been waiting to do that since I first saw you," he said, his voice husky, then he kissed the back of my neck.  I involuntarily arched back against him, sucking in a sharp breath.  "Ohh, look what I found," he said with a soft chuckle.  He pressed his lips back against the same spot, then grazed his teeth lightly over it.  I moaned softly.  He worked his lips and tongue against my neck and shoulder, sliding a hand up to massage my breast.

When round 2 ended, I was reasonably certain I would never be able to move again.  I was sweaty, my hair was tangled, and my skin was so sensitive that I had to shift away from James.  We laid there with our fingers intertwined until I drifted into sleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night, shivering.  I realized I was still sprawled across the bed where I had fallen asleep after having sex with James.  I rolled over and was about to sit up to find a blanket when James pulled one up over us.  He curled his body around mine, and I fell easily back to sleep. 

The next time I woke up, sun was streaming in around my curtains.  I sat bolt upright, searching for my phone.  "Shit, shit, shit," I muttered, realizing my phone was downstairs.  I squinted at the clock across the room.  It was 7:05.  I relaxed a little, knowing at least that I wasn't late, but I needed to get up.  James sat up next to me, looking a little disoriented. 

"What time is it?" he asked groggily.

"A little after 7, I need to get moving.  Do you need a shower?"

"No, I don't have to be to work until 9, so I'm okay.  I'll shower at home," he replied.  I nodded and hurried into the bathroom.  I showered quickly, and pulled my hair into a bun, still wet.  I frowned at it in the mirror, but I didn't have time to dry it.  When I came out to get dressed, James was gone.  Weird.  He could have at least waited to say goodbye, I thought, my stomach dropping a little.  I didn't have time to worry about it though, and I quickly finished getting ready for work.

As I was coming down the stairs, my front door opened and James stepped in.  "Breakfast," he said, holding up a bag and a coffee cup.

"My hero!" I said with a laugh.  "I thought you left."

"I would never," he replied, kissing me gently.  He handed me the bag, and I pulled out a bagel.  I spread some cream cheese on it quickly and threw it on a paper plate.  He walked out the door with me, and once I had my stuff in my car he handed me the coffee.  I stuck it in my cup holder and kissed him.

"Thank you, it was really thoughtful of you to grab breakfast," I said.

"You're welcome.  I told you I'm excellent at getting takeout," he said with a laugh.  "Can I see you again soon?  Saturday?" 

"Saturday is Kinsley's birthday.  You could come if you wanted, though.  I can call you tonight with the details and you can let me know."

"Sounds good," he replied.  "I'll talk to you then.  Have a good day."  He kissed me again, and I went to work.

23 comments:

  1. Love them, I was worried she would have a flashback to the creepy brother, but I am glad she didnt! Hopefully no more run ins with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking James! I just hope this isn't a rebound thing and that his douche bag brother doesn't become an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh 10 bucks says brody is there..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hopeful for James, but after the run-in with his brother, I am soooo hoping Brody comes back into the picture. Quickly. I know James isn't his brother, but I can't shake this icky feeling I keep getting!

    www.sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. No doubt it would be an incredibly scary experience... But get over it, you were fine.. No need to dwell on the what if. Move on and stop playing victim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in a similar situation .. the what if can be almost as scary as it actually happening. Situations all affect people differently, so good to know you'd be able to get over it no problem. Don't judge someone who can't though.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous #2, I think you make a great point about the what if being almost as scary.

      I tried to use my experience and my knowledge of "trauma" and similar incidents to make Liv's reactions as realistic as possible. Of course, to be fair, there are many people who would be able to shake that off and move on, but some people can't do it quite as easily, and that's what I'm trying to portray.

      Delete
    3. She's not "playing victim." Try to put yourself in the shoes of someone who's been made to feel powerless and vulnerable.

      Delete
  6. What about the fact that if they do become serious, she will have to see that slime ball of a bro more often? Like at family dinners and what not. That guy needs to be reported and put in jail. She has the bruise marks to prove assault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! It wouldn't be fun to have him around later on and in any other circumstance, he'd be reported already.

      Thanks for another great post!

      www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

      Delete
    2. It doesn't sound like they have much of a relationship outside of professionally, so I don't see why she would have to see him on the reg.
      And I agree with you, she has bruises from their encounter, he attempted to detain her without her consent and essentially threatened her. He should have been charged.

      Delete
    3. And James being a former cop, you'd think he'd want justice for these girls he's assaulted. He even said he hasn't acted like this in a while, which means this isn't the first time he's done it. He's making excuses for him and that's not right. James should have punched him. As far as it sounding like he only associates with him at work, he's still his brother. If they have parents in the area and they throw a family dinner, wouldn't he be there?

      Delete
    4. Are they from the area? I don't remember if that was mentioned. I thought he mentioned his brother to her on one of their dates while talking about his job and their roles at the company and said that they don't interact much.

      Thanksgiving and Christmas are twice a year, so I guess I wouldn't expect them to see each other more often than that if they don't have any kind of relationship outside of work, but maybe I misread what how their relationship was described?

      Delete
  7. I need help! I started reading a blog that I found in a comment on another blog I read (can't remember which one) and I've lost the link, if anyone can help I would appreciate it! The main character is Savannah and she is an agent in NYC, her newest client is Jakob and she has a stalker sending her creepy packages. If anyone knows which blog I'm talking about please post the link. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U remember finding this one, too, but I don't have it on my faves. I hope someone replies! mum

      Delete
    2. I meant I found it....jeez. mum

      Delete
    3. It was thisislifesavannah.wordpress but when I go back to it, the posts are gone! I really enjoyed that blog. (But I enjoy them all!) I hope the writer changes her mind and starts back again! !!

      Delete
  8. Oh man. There is some good discussion here, I like it.

    I do have a few things I want to clarify. This might come off sounding like I'm defending James, and I promise that's not the intention, because he definitely should have brought up calling the police, and there are some better ways he could have handled it all. But maybe this will make things make a bit more sense.

    1. All James saw when he got there was Jordan holding Liv's arm and pinning her against the wall. He didn't see what Jordan's other hand was doing. I know, that's quite enough by itself, but who knows how he'd have reacted if he'd seen the whole picture.
    2. You guys can all see what's going on in Liv's head, but James only knows what Liv lets him see, and she did a very good job of pretending like it was no big deal and she was fine.
    3. Liv was not likely to have wanted to press charges or call the police. Again, James still could have (and should have!) brought it up, but Liv probably would have refused to do it.

    So maybe that doesn't change anything, and changing people's opinions isn't my intention, I just felt like I didn't do a very good job conveying the above points the first time around. Feel free to keep the discussion going, I love seeing what you guys think about the storyline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to take away from your points, at all, because it certainly could have been handled a lot differently. I really appreciate your perspective because some of your points I really hadn't even considered when I wrote this, hence why my above points needed to be clarified :) So t hank you for commenting and sharing your view on the situation!

      Delete
  9. I agree! James shouldn't be judged because of his brothers actions and we are hearing the story from Liv so he doesn't know the full story

    Would love to see Brody come back into the picture though, him and Olivia were perfect together!!

    http://lifebysarahxo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something about reading her interactions with James makes my stomach hurt, just not liking them together.

    ReplyDelete