Thursday, August 6, 2015

When Family Comes to Town

When we got home after having dinner with Brody's mom, I put the jewelry box directly into the top drawer of my dresser to keep it safe.  I had no idea what to do with such a beautiful and valuable heirloom.  Then I flopped facedown on the bed, worn out from getting up early and the long day.

"Tired?" Brody asked, sitting down next to me and rubbing my back.  

"Just a little," I replied, turning my heads towards him and smiling.  He began to massage my neck and I closed my eyes.  "I can't believe your mom gave me that jewelry," I said.  "It's beautiful.  Did you know she was going to?"

"I didn't," he said.  "Well, that's not entirely true.  She had three sets that are big family heirlooms.  Jen got one when she graduated from college, and she told me awhile ago that one would go to my future wife if I ever got my act together and settled down with someone.  But I'd forgotten about that conversation until today."  He shifted and brought his other hand up to massage my neck, working his way down to my shoulders.

"Do you think your mom is being weird about the guy she's seeing?" I asked.

"Yes!" Brody exclaimed.  "So weird.  I wonder why."

"Maybe he's 25 years old, or is missing an ear, or has a unicorn horn growing out of his forehead," I suggested, laughing.

"Of all those things, I'd be least okay with him being 25!" Brody laughed.  "I don't know if it's just because this is really the first man she's dated since my dad left her, at least as far as I know, or if it's something crazy like you said."  He was quiet for several seconds, then repeated, "I hope he's not 25.  That would be weird."

"I'm sure he's at least 30," I said.  

"Thanks, that makes me feel better," he said wryly.

I laughed.  "Glad I could help."

We talked a little more about the day and dinner, and eventually just ended up going to bed.  Brody was up early the next morning to get some work done, and we spent the afternoon hiking and unwinding.  It was nice to spend part of a day pretending we didn't have jobs or a wedding that needed to be planned.

On Monday, Lauren texted me that she still wasn't feeling well, and canceled our Monday "date".  I texted back asking if she wanted to reschedule, but she responded that we'd catch up next Monday.  Fed up with her avoidance act, I called her.

"What?  I'm working, can it wait?" she answered, sounded irritated.

"Lauren, what is going on with you?" I asked.  "First everything with Kinsley, then you storming out on me, not coming to happy hour, and now ditching me?  And don't tell me everything is fine."

She sighed heavily.  "I'm just really stressed out, and I've been a little off lately.  I'm sorry for ditching you last week and not responding to your calls and texts.  I don't know what my deal is, honestly. I just need to not be around other people for awhile."

"That I can understand," I said.  "Let me know if you change your mind, otherwise will I see you this weekend?  I want to see your mom while she's in town!"

"Yes, this weekend for sure.  I really do have to go now, sorry."  We said goodbye and I hung up.  I still wasn't sure what was going on with Lauren, but at least she answered the phone.

Since I wasn't going out with Lauren after work, I went to the gym then headed home, planning to make dinner.  When I got there, I was surprised to find Brody already there.  He was sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal.

"What are you doing home already?" we both said at the same time.  That made us both laugh.  Brody nodded, waiting for me to talk.  "Lauren didn't want to go out," I said, shrugging.

"Is she okay?" Brody asked.

"I don't know," I replied, shaking my head.  "She's been weird lately."

Brody agreed, then said, "It was a quiet day today, so I thought I'd take advantage of it."

"Well, I was going to make dinner, but since you've already had such an extravagant feast, maybe I'll just have some cereal too," I said, laughing.

"No you won't," Brody said, making a face.  "I used the last of the milk, sorry."

After a quick survey of the fridge and freezer, I ended up making myself some eggs and hashbrowns.  I sat on the couch and plopped my feet in Brody's lap while I ate, and he massaged them mindlessly as we talked about our days.  Eventually, he said, "So, I have a question for you."  I motioned for him to continue.  "I talked to my brother today.  Remember he told us he was moving out here?  Well, his company had originally agreed to a September transfer, but now they're asking for August 1st.  Or, I think that's a Saturday, so the 3rd."

"Oh," I said, confused.  "That's next week."

"Yes," Brody replied.  "So the problem is that he has a place all lined up, but he isn't going to be able to move in until September 1st, because that's what he originally had signed the lease for, and the apartment isn't available earlier."

"Sooo..." I urged him on, fearful of where this conversation was going.

"Sooo...what would you think about him staying with us for a month?"

I looked at him without speaking for several seconds, then said, "Seriously?"

"I wouldn't even ask if he didn't already have a place lined up," Brody said quickly.  "I'm not interested in my brother moving in indefinitely.  But it's just a month."

"When?"

Brody grimaced, then said, "This weekend?"

"Seriously?" I asked again.  Brody nodded.  He picked up one of my feet and started massaging it again.  I tugged it away.  "Nope, you're not winning me over with a foot massage, it's too late for that."

"Liv, I know the timing is shitty, and I know that my brother has a lot to prove to you.  I get that.  Like I said, I wouldn't have even asked if it wasn't time-limited.  But I really want my brother back in my life, and this is important to achieving that."

"Okay," I agreed, defeated.  "But I'm not cleaning up after him or cooking for him or entertaining him.  And I'm not canceling my plans for this weekend--Lauren's mom is in town."

"I'm not asking you to do any of those things," Brody assured me.  "And if he asks you to do any of those things, I'll kick his ass."

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a brat, this is all just really sudden and quick and I still don't know how I feel about Ken, and now he's going to be our roommate, and..."  I trailed off, desperately hoping Brody understood what I was saying.

"I know," he said gently.  "Look, I'm not exactly thrilled about it myself.  You know how I feel about roommates."  I frowned, remembering one of the few fights we'd had, when I'd told him Lauren was maybe moving in with me.  "But he's my brother, and it's a month, and I don't really know how to say no."

I nodded and forced myself to say, "I get that.  I'm sure it will be fine."

"Thank you for agreeing to this even though you don't like anything about it.  I'll take care of getting him moved in; it should be pretty easy, he's putting all his furniture and stuff in storage.  I was thinking we could move my punching bag temporarily and give him that room downstairs.  There's a full bath and that extra living area down there too, so he could have his own space and not be in ours all the time.  What do you think?"

"I like that idea," I agreed.

"Okay," he said.  "I'll call him tomorrow and let him know."

The week went by quickly, and I was really busy at work getting ready to drop my hours down.  Everyone sort of bailed on Thursday's happy hour, but when I texted Lauren to make sure we were still on for having a late lunch with her mom after I finished work on Saturday, she confirmed.  I was relieved, because I had been looking forward to seeing Lauren's mom, and I really missed Lauren.  Also, to be completely honest, the longer I could put off going home on Saturday and having to deal with the fact that we had a brand new roommate that I had very mixed feelings about, the happier I was.

Brody had been extra nice to me all week.  He'd beaten me home a couple times and made dinner, did the dishes, and cleaned up.  He brought home flowers and my favorite wine one night, and on Friday night, he gave me oral sex without letting me reciprocate.  As I laid in bed in the dark, basking in my post-orgasm glow, I said, "If you need your brother to move in again next month, I think I could get used to this."

"This has nothing to do with my brother moving in," Brody said, snuggling up to me and planting a kiss on my shoulder.  "Can't I just show my beautiful, smart, wonderful fiancée how much I love her?"

I laughed.  "Now you're lying, knock it off."

"Mmmm, but I do love you," he said, pressing his face against my neck.

"I love you too," I said, shifting to get more comfortable.


Brody was up early on Saturday to get things ready for Ken to move in.  He took a break long enough to make me breakfast and coffee while I was getting ready for work.  I thanked him, kissed him, and said goodbye before heading out the door.

I was antsy all morning at work and was glad my Saturdays were shorter than the weekdays.  Aside from looking forward to seeing Lauren and her mom, I was also excited that it was my last Saturday, at least for the time being.  Luckily I had a full day of clients, which helped it go quickly.

When I was packing up my stuff to leave, I saw I had a text from Lauren.  "Hey, my sister is coming, sorry.  I tried to talk her out of it, but she wasn't having it."  I quickly texted her back that it was fine.  I hadn't seen Lauren's older sister Amanda in ages, and didn't mind that she'd be there.

I found parking kind of close to the restaurant where I was meeting Lauren and her family and hurried over, excited to see Lauren's mom, Jolene.   I spotted Lauren and Jolene right away when I got there.  "Hi, sweetpea!" Jolene called out, hugging me tightly.

"Hi, Jolene," I greeted her back.  "It's so good to see you!"

I turned my smile on Lauren and she greeted me cheerfully and then said, "Don't you dare hug me."

"Wasn't planning on it!" I assured her, snorting.  Amanda arrived shortly after, and she hugged me and spent some time exclaiming over my ring and the fact that I was "all grown up."  I tried hard not to roll my eyes; I hadn't seen her in years.

We got a table and sat down.  We sat, eating, talking, and laughing for almost two hours.  It was so nice to see Lauren's mom, who had been as much of a 'second mom' to me when I was growing up as Lynn's mom had been.  And Lauren was acting perfectly normal.  I couldn't wait to see her on Monday and find out what the hell had been going on lately.

When we finally vacated our table and walked out, Lynn said, "Walk with me to Lauren's car, Liv.  I have your invitations."

"Oh, I almost forgot about them!" I said, surprised.

When we got to the car, she handed me a box and said, "Everything is there and addressed.  Just need stamps and to be mailed.  I also put 10 extra ones with blank envelopes, just in case.  And I don't know if you scrapbook or will get a photo book, but I matted one of them for you to keep.  Also, my RSVP is in there--you don't have to mail the invitation!"

"Thank you so much," I said, excitedly.  "I'm excited to have our first RSVP back already!"  Lauren helped me open the box and pull out one of the invitations.  Jolene had sent me proofs of them, but I wanted to see them in person.  "They're beautiful," I said sincerely, holding one carefully in my hands.  "I love them.  Thank you again!"

I hugged her tightly once more, then we all said goodbye and I headed to my car.  I settled the box very carefully on my passenger seat and got in.  I started the car and headed for home--where my fiancée's brother would be in the process of moving into our house.  Hmph.



10 comments:

  1. Um, I do NOT like Ken moving in with them. I get that Brody felt pressured, but I feel like he bullied Liv into saying okay. She'd better hide that jewelry in a safe.
    Also, I think Brody's mom is dating Don, the jewelry guy, and that's why she's being weird! I'd be super pumped if it turned out her boyfriend is some sexy 25 year old hunk ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't think he bullied her. He laid out all his feelings about the situation to her and I feel like if Liv really, truly wasn't comfortable with Ken staying there that Brody would have respected that.

      Delete
  2. I want it to be a good thing. I want Ken to prove himself and turn out to be a good house guest. I don't think Brody bullied her. It is family, he's in a bind and had nowhere to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like she's being bratty about it. Regardless, he's family. If it was something she needed Brody would say yes in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I'm sitting on the fence with this post, on one hand I feel a bit unsure about Ken moving, I know he apologised and everything but I feel like something is going to go wrong but I also don't like how Liv reacted to it all, Ken is family and family is family no matter what and I feel like if the situation was the other way round Brody wouldn't even hesitate.

    http://doespixidustwork.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe how bratty Liv was acting about Ken

    http://neverjudgewhatyoudontknow.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she was acting a bit harsh but in the end it's Brady's house...and she should want to get to know Ken and work past what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I like Kinsley more than Liv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Ashley! Liv acts like a child a lot of the time.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. I even suggested blog just for Kinsley in one of the last posts. :p

      Delete