Friday, July 25, 2014

A Good Friend Fights for your Honor

I woke up to a text from Lauren: "Dinner tonight?  I want to hear EVERYTHING!"  I texted back with a time and place, and got in the shower.  I was still giddy from the night before, and happy I had back-to-back clients so the day would go quickly.

At 6, I saw my last client out, quickly wrote up the contact note, gathered my things and headed out to meet Lauren.  She squealed and hugged me, much to the annoyance of the people around her.  "Laur, I went on a date.  I didn't cure cancer.  Stop being weird."

"I'll be weird if I want.  Your first Colorado date is exciting.  Especially since I'm completely responsible!"  She tossed her hair and wiggled her eyebrows at me.  I couldn't help laughing at her enthusiasm.

"I wouldn't go that far," I said, "but I do have you to thank for introducing us, at least."  She nodded with superiority.    "And I'll have you to hate when something horrible happens and he breaks my heart," I finished, cocking an eyebrow at her.  She rolled her eyes.

Over our appetizers, I recounted the evening for her.  She sighed audibly in relief when I told her about our kiss.  "Now Kinsley won't have to rearrange his face.  I'm glad.  It's such a nice face."

"We're going hiking tomorrow," I said, ignoring her.

"Hiking?  What kind of awful second date is that?  You'll get sweaty, and not even in the fun way to get sweaty on a date."  Lauren has always had a bit of a one-track mind.

"It's an awesome second date.  I'm excited for it.  Sorry it's not your style, princess."

"As long as you're happy," she said laconically.

"Did you guys do happy hour last night?" I asked, changing the subject.

Lauren's face darkened for a second.  "Yup.  Hey, these mozzarella sticks are awesome, you should try one."

"Lauren?  Tell me about happy hour," I said, apprehensive.

She took a deep breath, then the words tumbled out.  "You're going to find out eventually, so I might as well tell you.  Savannah was there.  She asked where Brody was.  Christian told her he was on a date with you.  I don't know what the fuck is wrong with him.  Anyway, she was pissed, as expected.  Alex looked a little surprised too.  It was awful.  She started ranting about how horrible you were.  Of course, Kinsley and I stood up for you.  We got into it.  We...we got kicked out of the bar.  She actually took a swing at Kinsley.  Alex got her away in time, but as he was pulling her away she said that you 'would be sorry.'  She's crazy, Liv.  I can't figure out why Kendra keeps inviting her places.  She shouldn't be allowed in public."

I sat in stunned silence, staring at her.  "I...wow."  I put my face in my hands.  "Maybe I shouldn't go out with him again," I said, looking up at her.

"Are you kidding?  You can't not go out with him again.  You can't give that stupid bitch what she wants!" Lauren exclaimed.

"Part of the reason I moved out here was to get away from this drama bullshit.  I'm too old for this."

"Oh, knock it off.  Don't be so melodramatic.  Savannah is a crazy person, and she shouldn't stop you from doing what you want to do."

I nodded.  She was right, of course.  But I didn't have any desire to deal with such a crazy person.

"Hey," she said suddenly.  "When is your dinner with John?"

I had forgotten all about my plans with John.  "Oh.  Two weeks, I guess.   He flies in that Tuesday and flies out Friday morning.  He has training all day Wednesday and Thursday.  We're doing dinner Thursday night."

"Are you going to tell Brody?" she asked.

"I have no idea.  I haven't even thought about it.  I guess I'll see where things are at then.  If Savannah hasn't killed me in my sleep, anyway,"  I joked.

We finished up our dinner and walked to the door.  "Well," Lauren said, eying me skeptically.  "I hope you don't like, break an ankle or get West Nile on your hiking date."

"Thanks, that's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me!" I shot back sarcastically.  We both laughed and headed home.

12 comments:

  1. Aww I love Lauren and Kinsley! They are such great friends!
    I enjoy reading your posts after stressful days at work. I feel happy after reading your blog. Thank you for that.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren and Kinsley are pretty awesome, huh? I'm so glad my blog helps you wind down, it's definitely my stress relief too! Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I have a feeling that Savannah is going to wig out and do something really crazy.
    I love Lauren. Everyone needs a great friend like her.

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so hoping Brody doesn't douche out in her again. I know he's not her bf but he seems to be putting forth quite the effort.
    Every girl needs good girlfriends who will go to bat for them! Savannah is one of those girls who is not used to not being the apple of every guys eye. But I have to wonder if Brody might have led her on at some point too..If the rumors are true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting theory! A little more of that story will be revealed on Monday, actually :)

      Delete
  4. Savannah's melt-down is on Brody. Instead of shutting her down, he kept stringing her along. Not excusing her behavior by any means, but Brody needs to step up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, so maybe Brody isn't quite as wonderful as he seems? Interesting perspective!

      Delete
  5. I found your blog the other day & I read the whole thing. It's awesome! I love the storyline & style. It's very well written! I love it so much already! I'm hooked! Great job & cannot wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and the awesome compliments! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :)

      Delete
  6. I just came to this story from New York Dixie, I saw you post in the comments! I'm not a creeper or anything, I just know that people like to post their blog names in the comments. Yours is a new find for me and I love it! So addicting :) I would love to hear more about Brody, although I have a feeling that he is not as nice of a guy as everyone thinks he is... there has to be a story there with Savannah. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over! There's definitely more to the story, and you won't have to wait long :) Glad you're enjoying so far!

      Delete