Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Back to Reality

I was seriously exhausted Monday morning.  I dragged myself out of bed and into the shower, cursing my tendency to wake up cheerfully on the weekend but not during the week.  I sent Cassie a text to see if she wanted to have dinner later, and tried not to think about the text from John.  Of course, that was impossible.  He was coming here?  Should I see him?  I didn't even know if I wanted to see him.  Part of me did.  No matter how much I didn't want to be his girlfriend, I did miss a lot of things about him.  But I knew that he wouldn't be able to have dinner with me as just a friend.

I pondered it my whole drive to work.  But thankfully, once I got there, my brain was occupied by work.  I was finally starting to meet my clients this week and I was excited about that.  It made it easy to focus on work and ignore both John and how tired I was.  The morning flew by, and the afternoon went even faster.  By the time I was walking out the door to go home, I was no longer concerned about John.

I picked up some groceries on my way home.  Cassie came over and we walked to a nearby burger place.  I filled her in on my weekend, and she was appropriately scandalized by Savannah's name calling and gleeful about my pending date.  I told her about John and she considered my conundrum.

"I think you should do it," she declared after considering for a minute.  "I think you need to show him that you're good here.  I think it will be good closure."

I regarded her skeptically.  "Me moving 1000 miles away wasn't closure.  Why would having dinner with him be?"

"Because you moved out here with nothing.  One friend, no furniture, a brand new job...you hadn't even seen your new house in person.  In his mind, there was probably a high chance for failure and for you to come back," she explained patiently.  "But now you have friends, your job is going well, and you're starting to date.  You're happy.  It will show him that you're here to stay."

I nodded thoughtfully.  "Ok, that actually makes sense."

"Of course it does," she scoffed.  "I don't make a habit of illogicality."

I snorted.  "Good word, Dr. Logic."

My phone, which I had tossed towards the center of the table and forgotten about, rang.  Cassie saw it and grinned excitedly, shoving it at me.  "It's Brody, answer it!"

I did.  He greeted me and then asked what would be a good night for our date.

"Thursday is my early night at work this week, and I don't have to be to work until 11 on Friday.  So how about Thursday?" I suggested. 

"Thursday is good," he responded.  "Do you like Greek food?"

"Love it!" I said back.

"I'll make a reservation.  I'll pick you up at 7."

"I can't wait," I said, smiling.

Cassie was smiling broadly at me when I hung up.  "You are sooooo in love with him," she teased me.  "You're giddy!"

I rolled my eyes.  "If you saw him, you'd be giddy too.  He's easily the most gorgeous guy I have ever actually spoken to.  I'm kind of confused why he wants to go out with me."

"Don't be stupid.  You're beautiful, smart, funny, and you have a rockin' body.  Why would he not want to go out with you?"

I loved Cassie's bluntness.  But I still wasn't so sure I agreed with her assessment.  

Tuesday and Wednesday passed a little more slowly than Monday.  I went to the gym with Kinsley on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday Kinsley and Lauren came over to help me pick out an outfit for my date.  They lounged on my bed while I modeled various dresses and accessories for them.  We finally agreed on a dress, shoes, and accessories.  Lauren played around with my hair, trying to decide how I should style it.  "At least you can do your own makeup," she said.  "We don't have to do everything for you."  I grabbed the pillow at my feet and swung it up over my head at her.  She dodged it, accidentally yanking on my hair in the process.  I shrieked and we dissolved into laughter.

I kicked them out a little later and got ready for bed.  I heard my phone beep while I was washing my face.  I grabbed it as I got into bed, and saw a text from Brody.  "Sleep well, beautiful.  Can't have you yawning through our date tomorrow ;)"


12 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog! As someone who moved across the country with just my husband,I can relate to your character. My husband and I both had to start new jobs and we didn't know anyone else! Thanks for sharing your talent of writing with the world! Can't wait to see how their first kiss goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading. I'm so glad you can relate to Olivia. It can be so scary to move with nothing!

      Delete
    2. Tell me about it :) have you had a big move before?

      Delete
    3. Not on the same level, since I don't think moving for college and grad school really count. But we're hoping to move out of state when I finish school, and it is seriously daunting just doing the preliminary research!

      Delete
  2. This blog is so well written that I can actually picture the various scenes playing out. Not many writers have that ability. I follow several blogs, but this may be my new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is seriously one of the best compliments I've ever been given, and I'm so grateful for it. Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Can't wait to read all about date with Brody! Your blog is my new favorite now!

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your blog, it's fast becoming one of my favourites!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am seriously blown away by all the kind comments I've received. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love it! I have to read about the date! So excited!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete