Sunday, July 13, 2014

Awkward...

The first half of the week passed in a blur.  Sunday was spent unpacking, shopping for essentials, and procuring furniture.  I was thankful for my savings account and the small moving bonus that my new company had given me.  With what was left after my deposit and renting the moving trailer, I was able to get a couch and two recliners, coffee table, dining table and chairs, end tables, a bedroom set, and even a few decorations.  Monday's training and orientation was everything an orientation should be: boring, long, and completely overwhelming.  I went through it with one other person, another recent grad named Charlotte.  She was about my age, and local.  We had hit it off and ended up getting drinks and dinner after we were done.

Tuesday and Wednesday I spent unpacking, getting my new furniture, cable, and internet set up, finding a gym (within walking distance, even!), and wandering around the neighborhood a bit, getting my bearings.  Lauren had told me I was near a cool neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, and bars.  I found it on Wednesday, about a 10 minute walk from my house.  I spent most of the afternoon exploring, and even ate lunch by myself in a small cafe--something I never thought I'd do.

Wednesday evening, Lauren called, sounding excited.  "Are you free tomorrow?"

"Seriously, Laur?  What would I be doing?  I know two people in the whole entire state and haven't started my job yet.  But, let me check my schedule..."

Not bothered by my sarcasm, Lauren continued, "Well, sass, don't make any plans.  I have the day off.  We're having lunch, and then I have a surprise for you."

"Good thing I got a gym membership yesterday.  All this eating out is killing me.  But I do love surprises, so it's a date!" I responded.  I tried to get more info out of her, but she zipped her lips and I got nothing else.

On Thursday, I slept in, and got ready.  Since I had no idea where we were going, I had no idea what to wear, but it was hot out, so I threw on a sundress.  I figured Lauren would tell me if it was completely inappropriate for what we were doing.  Turns out she approved, and then she told me that after lunch we were heading to her favorite spa for massages, manicures, and pedicures.  It was an amazing surprise.

While we were sitting in the pedicure chairs, Lauren's phone vibrated.  She looked at the text, then turned to me.  "Some of my friends are doing happy hour and dinner tonight, do you want to go?  It would be great for you to meet some people, and the place they're going to is excellent."

I agreed to join her.  I needed to start making some new friends, and I was getting bored with my routine already.  Once we were finished, we headed back to my house where we did our hair and makeup together, like we used to before high school football games and dances.

The restaurant for the evening was in the area I had explored the day before, so we decided to walk.  As we walked, Lauren asked if I had heard from John.  I told her about Saturday night's text, and how I hadn't responded and he hadn't tried again.  We got there at 5:10, and Lauren spotted the group immediately.  As we made our way back to their table near the bar, I counted 5 people...including two gorgeous guys.  Lauren introduced me to everyone.  Savannah, Christian, Kendra, Brody, and Alex.  After a few minutes, Brody, one of the gorgeous guys I had noticed immediately, said he was going to go grab a round of drinks at the bar and asked me to come with.  He didn't have to ask twice, and we made our way over to the bar.

As we waited for our drinks, he asked me the customary questions.  Where I was from, why I moved, where I'd be working, if I liked it so far.  We made easy conversation and he teased me gently about my Wisconsin accent.  I asked him about a tattoo just visible on the inside of his bicep.  Our conversation continued after we brought back the drinks for everyone, until Savannah came over, inserted herself between us, and began asking me questions in an overly cheerful voice.  She then managed to pull Brody away.  I turned back to Lauren, who was talking to Alex.  I went through Round 3 of 20 questions with Alex, which quickly bored Lauren, and she wandered away.  Alex noticed my empty drink.  "Looks like you need another, can I buy you something?"

"Actually," I said, "I'll walk up there with you."  We walked up to the bar, and ordered our drinks.  I tried to pay for my own, but Alex pushed my outstretched hand and $10 away and offered the bartender a $20 for both of our drinks.  "Thanks, you didn't have to," I said, blushing a little.

"But I wanted to.  Ready to go back to the table?"  We walked back to find that our group was getting ready to order food.  I realized I was starving, and asked Alex what was good.  He gave me a few suggestions.  I saw someone sit down on the other side of me, and turned my head.  It was Brody.


I spent the next hour dividing my conversation between Alex and Brody, trying to figure out how I had managed to snag the attention of both of these hot guys.  Lauren caught my eye and smirked at me, then gave me a covert thumbs up.  I rolled my eyes, but could feel my face heating up again.  Damn my pale skin.

After dinner, Lauren made her way around the table to us.  "It's getting late, I should get going.  I'll take a cab back to your place to get my car."

"No, I'll come with you," I responded.  As much fun as I was having, I wasn't ready to be left alone to make conversation with people I didn't know.   Brody started to say something, but Alex interrupted, offering to walk us out.  We said goodbye and made our way towards the door.   Once we got outside, Alex put a hand on my arm, slowing me a bit and putting a few feet between us and Lauren.

"Olivia, can I take you out this weekend?" he asked.  "On a date?" he added, unnecessarily. 

I hesitated.  I hadn't even lived in this city for a week.  And while hot, Alex wasn't really my type.  He was a little too clean cut for me.  I answered, mostly honestly, "I'm really flattered, but I was hoping to take some time to get settled and get my bearings here before I started dating."

Alex looked disappointed, but managed a smile and said, "I understand.  I'm sure I'll see you around, we all try to get together weekly or so.  Let me know if you change your mind."

"Thanks," I replied. "I will let you know.  Oh, looks like Lauren grabbed us a cab, I better go!"  I breathed a silent sigh of relief for the excellent timing, squeezed Alex's hand, and walked down to the cab waiting at the curb.

2 comments:

  1. What a great response! Looking forward to hearing more about her job as I am also a therapist in my first post- grad job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Her job should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete