Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mixed Signals

In honor of hitting 15,000 views (holy crap, you guys!), here is a bonus post for you, my lovely readers.  Thank you so much for reading :)
______________________________________________________________

If Monday and Tuesday were busy, the rest of the week was insane.  By the time Friday rolled around, I could barely haul myself out of bed, and I entertained a fleeting thought of calling in sick and sleeping all day.

I did the best I could with my makeup to try to make myself look awake, and stopped for a large latte on the way to work.  By lunchtime, the thought of going out later made me want to curl up and die.  I called Brody.  "Hey, so...I know you said you were going to plan something low-key for tonight, but whatever it is, can we bring it down even lower?" I asked, tentatively.

"Is everything okay?  You sound beat," he replied.

"This week has been insane.  There was the extra work I picked up, but it must be a full moon or something too, because I've had three client crises since this time yesterday.  I still really want to see you, but I can't bear the thought of going out.  I'd be an awful date tonight."

"I'll understand if you just want to reschedule, but I'd be good with just grabbing some takeout and watching a movie," he suggested.

"That sounds great," I said, relieved he wasn't upset about changing plans.  "I'll be lucky to get out of here by 7 tonight, can you come over around 8?" I asked.

"8 sounds good.  I'll grab some food on my way," he confirmed.

"Perfect.  I have wine and a couple bottles of beer--if you want something else I can stop and grab something on the way home."

"No, wine or beer works," he said.  "I'll see you at 8.  Hope the rest of the day lets up a little."

We said goodbye, and I quickly ate my lunch and got back to work.   I made it out the door a few minutes before 7, and was not sorry to see the last of my office for the next couple days.  When I got home, I threw my hair up and showered quickly.  I pulled on leggings and a lace-hemmed tunic, then pulled my hair into a messy side braid.  I reapplied a little makeup and had just opened a bottle of wine when the doorbell rang.

I pulled the door open and smiled at Brody.  He held up a bag from my favorite deli a couple blocks over.  "You remembered!" I said, surprised.  I had mentioned the place while we were hiking last weekend.  I was suddenly a little overwhelmed by the gesture and the sight of him standing on my porch.  I stepped back so he could come in.

"Of course I did," he scoffed teasingly.  "I even got the giant brownies, because it sounds like you earned one this week."  I took the bag from him and set it down.  I brought him back a bottle of beer and he slipped an arm around my waist as he took it.  He kissed me on the forehead and pulled me towards the couch.  We found a movie to watch and settled next to each other, eating the delicious food he had brought.  When we finished, I started to get up to take the trash into the kitchen, but he stopped me and took care of it, even bringing me back a refill on my wine.  He sat back down next to me, pulling me against him.

I relaxed into him, and was on the verge of sleep when his hand found my neck.  His fingers worked at the knotted muscles I had accumulated over the week.  He gently shifted me so he could get both hands up, and massaged my neck and shoulders, melting the week's stress away.  "Your neck and shoulders are a disaster," he commented, working at a stubborn knot.

"I know, I've had a non-stop tension headache since Wednesday night," I admitted.  He continued working my tight muscles for several more minutes.  By this point, I had given up completely on the movie.  I had no idea what was going on, and it seemed likely I had dozed off at some point.

I twisted towards him and put my hands on his shoulders, pulling myself almost upright.  I slipped my hand behind his head and tilted it down towards mine.  He wrapped his arms around me, supporting my weight, and kissed me.  We kissed with increasing intensity, and his hand found the hem of my long shirt.  He slid his palm along my hip, under the shirt.  I felt goosebumps rise when his fingers found my bare skin.  He dragged one finger along the the skin above the waistband of my leggings, from my hip to my stomach.  His finger left behind a tingling trail of hot skin, and I wanted more.

I sat up, straddling him on the couch.  I curled my fingers into his hair and pulled his head to mine.  He laughed softly before kissing me hungrily.   Both hands now traveled up my sides, beneath my shirt.  I gasped as he unhooked my bra and slid his hands over my breasts, trapping a nipple between his fingers.  His mouth moved to my neck and I sighed, pushing my hips against his.

And then, as suddenly as it had started, his hands fell off my breasts and he pulled his face back from my neck.  I shift back slightly, looking at him.  He was breathing faster than usual, and his hair was disheveled from my hands.  I leaned in to kiss him again but he put a hand on my shoulder, stopping me.

"You're exhausted.  I should go, and you should sleep," he said, quietly.

"This is the most awake I've been all day," I said, trying to keep the confusion and frustration out of my voice.  "I can think of plenty of things I'd rather do right now than sleep, and then I can sleep after."

He shook his head, shifting his eyes away from mine.  He put his hands on my waist and easily shifted me off his lap.  He stood up and began putting on his shoes.  I sat there mutely, having no idea what to say.  Did he seriously just get me going and then push me off, telling me I needed sleep?  I sat, silently fuming, while he tied his shoes and grabbed his phone from the end table.  He leaned down and kissed me on the cheek.  "I'll call you," he said, walking towards the door.  At the door, he turned.  "Sleep well, beautiful."  Then he was gone.

What. The. Fuck.  I fought back frustrated tears as I heard his SUV start, then pull out of my driveway.  "Sleep well, beautiful?"  No.  I stormed around, re-corking the wine and sticking it in the fridge, chucking Brody's beer bottle into the recycling.  As I brushed my teeth, I wondered if he really would call.  At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.
 ________________________________

What do you think, faithful readers?  Is he going to call?  What do you think he's up to?

12 comments:

  1. Brodyyyyyyyy whyyyyy?!?! Wonder what his problem is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he has something and is waiting to be in the clear. I would be so pissed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me seriously laugh out loud. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  3. I think he will call!... I hope??? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he is going to call. I think he's just learning from his Savannah mistake. I would be cautious about hooking up with a girl in a group of friends after her crazy antics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he is just being a gentleman and trying to take it slow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think he realy likes her and doesn't want to make the mistake of jumping into bed with her too quickly.

      Delete
  6. I think he knows his Rep as a player and doesnt want her thinking he only wants in her pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he is trying to be a gentleman with her. As much as I'm hoping for a hookup, I think it's sweet that he isn't rusing into it. He has a lot more self control than I do, lol! So excited for your next post!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. He either is trying to change his reputation or he has an STD. Here's hoping we get an explanation from him soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone that thinks he's just trying to take it slow and not just jump into bed with her. Although at this point if he weren't looking for a relationship with her like he wasn't with Savannah, he sure is trying hard to impress with the dates. Although my thoughts do keep coming up with the STD scenario also.

    ReplyDelete