Thursday, July 24, 2014

Date Night

Author's note: I am so blown away by all the amazing comments I've received over the last few days.  Thank you all so much for reading and sharing your kind words with me.  I know you guys are eager to read about the date, and I'm eager to share it so here's a bonus post :)
__________________________________________________________

On Thursday, I woke up before my alarm.  I was to work early, and got started on some paperwork.  I was antsy all day and had a hard time focusing.  I wished I had more clients, because I focused much better during those sessions than just doing paperwork.  When I got done with work at 4, I headed straight to the gym for a quick workout to get rid of some of my nervous energy.

I was home by 5:30 and showered, carefully exfoliating and shaving.  After drying off and putting on lotion, I threw on my robe and dried my hair.  I pulled on my dress, did my makeup, and did my hair, curling it into loose waves and pulling it into a simple low side ponytail to show off the back of the dress.  The dress was dark purple, with a modest neckline in the front, but a deep V down the back.  It hit about 2/3 of the way down my thigh, showing a perfectly classy amount of leg, but without danger of accidentally flashing someone.  My pewter colored peep toe pumps would put me at eye level with Brody's chin.

I was applying my NARS Velvet Matte lip crayon when the doorbell rang.  I looked at my phone.  6:58.  I grinned.  I love when guys are on time.  I went quickly down the stairs and opened the door.

"Wow...you are seriously gorgeous," Brody said, his eyes sliding up and down my body.  He kissed my cheek and I breathed in his cologne.  I stepped back and looked appraisingly at him.  He looked hot in dark jeans, a pale green shirt, and a dark gray blazer.  Total guy date uniform, but it looked good on him.

"You are too.  I mean, you look really nice."  My face got warm.  I felt like I'd never spoken to man before in my life.

Brody laughed.  "I love when you blush," he said, taking my hand.

"That's good, because it happens a lot," I grumbled.  He laughed again, and I locked my door and we walked out to his car.  He opened the car door for me, and waited while I adjusted my skirt and put on my seat belt before he shut it.  We pulled up to a restaurant downtown and by the time I had my seat belt off and the valet had the door open, Brody was there, offering me a hand to get out.  I stepped up onto the curb and he adjusted his grip, intertwining his fingers with mine.  

When we walked in the door, the host's eyes lit up.  "Mr. Adler, good to see you.  The table you requested is ready.  Please follow me."  He nodded politely to me and then turned crisply and walked to a table in the corner.  The restaurant was small, and didn't have many tables.  The tables were far enough apart to give an illusion of privacy.

After we were seated, I looked at him.  "This place is amazing.  Do you come here a lot?  The host knows you."

He smiled.  "My cousin is the executive chef.  I don't come for dinner often but I've had a few drinks here recently."

We settled into easy small talk about our weeks while we waited for our wine.  The conversation flowed into the basic getting-to-know-you chat.  I couldn't believe I had known him for almost a month (not to mention almost kissed him three times) without really knowing much about him.  He told me about his mom, a first generation American born to Greek parents who had moved here when they were in their 20s.  He told me about growing up with a pro-football player for a dad, moving for his contracts.  He was born in Texas, but they moved to Colorado when he was 3.  They stayed here until he was 14, then moved to Seattle.  He went to Miami for college, and his dad had moved out there when he divorced his mom.  Together, they started the athlete PR company that brought Brody back to Colorado.  His dad is still in Miami, running the main office, and his mom had moved back to Colorado a few years ago.

Halfway through our meal, a tall, white-coated man approached our table.  Brody stood up and hugged him, introducing him as his cousin, Costa.  Costa smiled at me.  "How is your meal?" he asked.

"It's fabulous," I said truthfully.  His smile grew.

"That's wonderful!" he said kindly.  The only thing I knew about executive chefs is what I saw on Iron Chef, but Costa did not fit my chef stereotype.  He chatted with us for a couple minutes, then said, "Brody, it was good to see you.  I'll leave you to your beautiful date."  He nodded to me and left.

We finished our meal and our wine.  As we walked out, Brody turned to me.  "I can take you home if you want, otherwise we can find a place to get a drink."

"Let's get a drink," I said, not ready for the date to end.

We found a lounge nearby and settled into a corner booth in the back.  His leg slid against mine as he turned towards me.  He slipped his fingers between mine.  "I'm glad you didn't want to go home.  I wasn't ready to take you yet."  My heart was racing; being so close to him was intoxicating.  I inched closer to him, smiling.  We talked easily, like we had known each other forever.  Time flew, and when Brody looked at his watched and announced, "Well, you may not have to be to work until 11 tomorrow, but I have to be there at 9, so unfortunately, I should probably get you home."  I craned my neck to see his watch, and my eyes widened when I saw it was after 1.  He touched my cheek, turning my head towards him.  His face was inches from mine, and I tilted my face up towards him.  He closed the distance between us, and finally, our lips met.  The kiss was soft and sweet, and it sent heat coursing through me.  Too soon, he pulled away.  He pushed a stray piece of hair away from my face, and smiled.    

He slid out of the booth and offered me his hand.  I stood on slightly shaky legs and we walked out, hand in hand.  When we got outside, he slipped his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him as we walked back to get his car.  The drive back to my townhouse was too short, and when he parked in front of it, neither of us moved for a bit.

Finally, he got out and I followed.  We walked up to my door.  I leaned against it and looked up at him.  "Tonight was great.  I expect a repeat soon."

He looked down at me, his green eyes intense.  "Good.  I'd ask you what you were doing tomorrow, but I have a work commitment.  The weather is supposed to be perfect this weekend, though.  How about a hike on Saturday?"

"Good idea.  Let's do that."

He put his hands on my hips and leaned close, kissing me again, more intensely this time.  This kiss was even more electric than the first, and I leaned into him.  He pulled away, but I pulled him back to me and kissed him again.  It felt like every nerve ending in my body was humming with energy.  I had never kissed anyone like this before.  Finally, I pulled back.  He kissed my forehead and reluctantly let his hands fall from my hips.  "I'll see you on Saturday."  I stepped inside and turned back.  He kissed me once more, this time a quick, gentle kiss on the lips, and then turned and walked back to his car.  I stood in the doorway, watching until he pulled away.

I wanted to call Lauren, but it was almost 2 in the morning.  I changed into pajamas, got ready for bed, and laid in bed reading until the electricity stopped buzzing through my veins and I drifted into sleep.


10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the bonus!! The date definitely delivered for a "player" Brody actually seems really sweet let's hope he stays that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it - thanks for the bonus!

    This blog is so great. The writing is really strong and the characters ring true. You do a great job of building tension without going for the over the top unbelievable drama as some of the newer blogs tend to do. I'm really enjoying Olivia's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, what a great compliment! I'm so glad you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I think by this point I'm pretty much in love with Brody haha thanks for posting early, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! :) I'm officially obsessed!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this post! I'm loving Brody... maybe because I'm a first generation American and my mom was born and raised in Greece. But even despite that, I'm enjoying reading. Good job!

    http://highheelshappyhour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed! Fun coincidence too :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete