Sunday, October 26, 2014

That was weird.

Posting a little earlier than usual today.  Thanks for hanging in there with my weird (for me anyway) posting schedule the past week.  Come back tomorrow (Monday) evening for a short bonus with James's perspective on everything that's been happening lately!

Also, I'm hearing that you can't use the "Reactions" feature on the mobile view.  I scoured the Blogger help section and Google and tinkered with it for nearly an hour yesterday and couldn't make it available on the mobile view.  :(  It looks like it's just not an option for those of you viewing the mobile view, but if anyone knows how to do it, please comment or email me!  If for some reason, you have a strong desire to use the feature, but you're on mobile, you can always scroll to the bottom of the page, hit the little "view web version" link, and select a reaction there.  
________________________________

Brody wasn't in bed with  me when I woke up the next morning.  I blinked sleepily and looked around.  I dragged myself out of bed and walked downstairs.  Brody was sitting on the couch, watching TV.

"Good morning, gorgeous," he said with a smile when he saw me on the stairs.

"What are you doing?" I asked, laying down on the couch and settling my head on his leg.

"I couldn't sleep anymore.  I didn't want to wake you, so I just got up."  He stroked my hair and my shoulder as I nodded.  My eyes drifted shut again.

"How's your hand?" I mumbled, before I yawned again.

"A little sore, but it'll be fine," he replied. I nodded again, eyes still closed.

"I'm hungry," I declared 15 minutes later, sitting up.

Brody just shook his head.  "Are you ever not hungry?  Where do you put it all?  You weigh about as much as a fifth grader."

"Rude!" I exclaimed, swatting him in the leg. 

45 minutes later I was showered and awake and we were pulling out of my driveway to get breakfast.  As we sat and ate, we talked about Kendra and Christian's upcoming wedding.

"I can't wait to see Savannah," I grumbled sarcastically.  Savannah was a bridesmaid, so seeing her was pretty much inevitable. 

"Yeah, it should be interesting," Brody replied.  "But, I guess as long as she doesn't try to ruin my life again I can just pretend she's not there."  I snorted.  I had a feeling that pretending she wasn't there wasn't going to be an option. 

"Well, I can't wait to see you in a tux," I said, changing the subject with a smirk.  Brody was an usher for the wedding.

He groaned.  "I'm just glad I'm not a groomsman. I hate that whole head table thing."

"It wouldn't have mattered," I pointed out, "because Kendra told me they're doing a sweetheart table."

He looked at me oddly.  "I have no idea what that is."  I laughed and explained that it's when the bride and groom just sit at a small table by themselves instead of doing the head table with the whole wedding party.

"Head tables aren't really 'in' anymore in a lot of places," I finished.  He was still looking at me like he had no idea what I was talking about, and I just changed the subject.  "I suppose at some point today I have to take you home, huh?" I asked.

"You could hold me hostage, but I don't think I'd be much good to you with my right hand swollen and stiff," he joked.

So after breakfast, we went out to his house.   When we got there, I parked and went inside with him. 

"When do I get to see you again?" he asked.

I thought through my work schedule for the week and grimaced.  "I don't know.  Thursday?  I'm going to the gym with Kinsley tomorrow, and I work until 7 Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'm not sure if I have time for lunch at all either."

He frowned.  "I have a lot of stuff to do at work.  Staying until 7 would be pretty easy.  Can we meet for dinner on Tuesday or Wednesday?  You have to eat, at least." I told him Wednesday would be better because I had to be to work super early on Tuesday too, so I'd probably want to just go home and crash after.  He agreed, then slid his arms around my waist.  "If I have to wait until Wednesday, maybe you should let me test out my left hand before you go," he said, smiling mischievously.

"Now that is a good idea," I said, kissing him.

An hour later I was kissing him again, but this time it was kissing him goodbye.  I needed to get home and get some stuff done, and the longer I put off calling James, the harder it was going to be.

When I got home, I sat on the couch with my phone in my hand, staring at it.  I had no idea what I was going to say.  I took a deep breath and dialed.

"Are you calling to explain the other night, or calling to tell me your boyfriend broke my brother's nose?" James said when he answered, catching me off guard.

"Um...well, I was calling to explain the other night.  And clearly I don't have to tell you that my boyfriend broke your brother's nose," I said in response.

"So he is your boyfriend?  And don't worry, I'm sure Jordan more than deserved it.  I can't wait to see him."

"Is it really broken?" I asked.

James laughed.  "Judging by the picture he sent me, it's pretty fucking broken."  

I paused and then asked, "Can I just...maybe start at the beginning?"  James didn't seem angry at all.  I was completely perplexed by his casual tone.

"Sure, have at it," he said.

So, I rambled away in true Liv style.  I apologized for being so abrupt on the phone Friday night.  I told him that he had been right about Brody.  I told him that I really hadn't realized it, or really understood my feelings, and that if I had, I never would have dated him because the whole situation would have been really unfair to him.

"Well, I'm glad you didn't understand your feelings then," he said.

"What?" I asked, completely baffled by his reaction.

"You just said if you had understood your feelings for Brody, you wouldn't have dated me.  And I'm glad you didn't understand them, because you did date me.  And I'm glad."

"Okay...but aren't you...?"  I trailed off.

"Mad?  Not really.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it sucks.  I like you a lot.  I think you're awesome, and you're gorgeous.  I had a blast hanging out with you.  But if you're in love with someone else, well, you're in love with someone else.  So I'm just glad I got the time I had with you."  He sounded so calm and sure of himself.

"This is weird," I blurted out before I could stop myself.  He laughed.

"Never had a breakup go so smoothly?" he asked, still laughing.

"I don't think so," I said cautiously. 

"Look, Olivia.  I've had some really crappy breakups and rejections.  Messy, hurt feelings, just disasters.  I'm done with that.  I'll miss you."  He laughed and continued, "I'll really miss having sex with you.  But I'm not into dramatic exits anymore."

"Well, I appreciate that a lot," I said, relieved.

"Plus," he added, "If Kinsley and Damien keep dating, we're bound to run into each other, and I don't want it to be weird."

"Me neither," I agreed.

"And I really appreciate that you had the balls to actually call me and tell me what's up, instead of just never talking to me again."

"I've been the victim of a disappearing act, and it sucked.  I will never do that to someone.  I am sorry that I didn't call sooner though," I said.

"I was pretty clear on what you meant on the phone, so it's not like you left me totally hanging," he replied.  "Can you tell me more about Brody punching my brother?"

I laughed and told him the story.  He groaned when I told him about Jordan slapping my ass.  "I'm really sorry.  I wish you wouldn't have had to meet him.  He is such a tool around women.  He's actually a totally different person in the office, you'd never believe it.  I feel terrible though.  I'll punch him again, if you want."  I assured him that it wasn't necessary, but that if he felt the need to punch him for the hell of it, I certainly wouldn't fault him for it.  He laughed.  "I hope he didn't hurt his hand too badly on Jordan's thick skull."  This was seriously the weirdest breakup conversation ever.

We wrapped up the conversation, and when I hung up, I still wasn't quite sure what had just happened.

7 comments:

  1. James is actually such a cool person. I hope you still include him more in the story later, so we can see him get a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww........I love James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did she tell James what happened from the beginning? Like the first time she met him and then he grabbed her and bruised her arm? I think he has some serious issues. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the only person she's told the whole story to is Brody. She didn't even tell Lauren and Kinsley everything.

      Delete
  4. Lovely Post .... I do really wish i could find myself a James ...... It made my day <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost caught up reading the story and I found it a few days ago. I gotta say I love James! But I am happy she chose Brody, though

    ReplyDelete