Monday, August 11, 2014

Bad news, good news

It was so nice to have a normal day on Wednesday.  No group, no extra clients, just my clients and my paperwork.  I had just one more appointment than my usual Wednesday, because Tuesday's staff meeting had been moved to Thursday this week because of the audit.  So I had to shuffle Thursday a little bit, but it was still way better than the last two weeks.

Thursday morning, I was running a little behind.  I skidded into the conference room for our meeting with two minutes to spare, and was instantly shocked at the feeling in the room.  Normally full of cheerful banter, today the pre-meeting atmosphere was silent with apprehensive tension.   Jeremy--our boss--walked in, and the feeling in the room grew even colder.

Instead of sitting like usual, he stood awkwardly in front of the table.  "As you all know, we recently had a routine audit with the largest insurance company we work with.  Unfortunately, there were some major issues.  While the majority of the files they surveyed were in excellent shape, a few of the ones they chose were not good at all.  They have elected to take back a significant amount of money due to the issues they found with those files."  Murmurs coursed through the room like electricity.

Jeremy cleared his throat, and the room fell silent again.  "As some of you already know, at the end of the day yesterday, we let 3 people go.  I regret that we had to do this, but we cannot tolerate incomplete and poorly completed paperwork, especially when it leads to loss of compensation for our services.  If this had been a state audit, we could have lost our license."  He looked around the room, making eye contact with everyone.  I felt my face grow warm when he met my eyes, even though I was completely on top of my paperwork.  "Paperwork is an essential part of your job.  I admit we have been lax in policing our paperwork policies, but that is because we have never had any problems before.  We've enacted some new policies that are effective immediately.  I will pass out paper copies and we will go over them.  If you have concerns about your employment here, the terminations, or the new policies, please make an appointment to see me, and I'd be happy to address them."

With that, he passed out the new policies and went through them item by item.  I was shocked.  If there were going to be more terminations or layoffs, I was still within my probationary period.  They had no real reason to keep me.  I choked down the panic bubbling up inside me, and tried to focus on the new policies.  After the conclusion of the meeting, everyone moved back to their offices in stunned, anxious silence.

I was going through some of the paperwork I had already done, making sure it was compliant to the new polices, when there was a knock at my office door.  I looked up, and felt nauseous when I saw Jeremy standing there.  "Hi Olivia, do you have a couple minutes?" he asked pleasantly.  I nodded, and motioned to the chair next to my desk.  He stepped in and closed the door, causing my heart to pound wildly.

"I know that as a new employee, this morning's meeting was probably a little scary for you," he started.  I didn't say anything, just silently waited for him to continue.  "I just wanted to reassure you.  We've been extremely pleased with your work so far.  I was impressed with the way you stepped up to help your coworkers the past two weeks.  I got positive feedback on the groups you facilitated during that time, and even though I know you were probably stretching yourself a little thin, you always made it here on time with a smile on your face, and that means a lot to our agency."  He paused.

"Thank you," I managed, still a little anxious.  "I enjoyed the running the groups, actually.  I'm glad to hear that you got positive feedback."

He smiled.  "Good, because the other reason I came to see you was to ask you if you'd be willing to take on both of those groups for now.  We're doing some shuffling of responsibilities due to being suddenly short 3 staff, and everyone is being asked to take on a little extra until we're able to hire and train replacements.  Even though groups are not typically something someone within their probationary period takes on, I'm trying to play to everyone's strengths to keep things running as smoothly as possible, and I feel that you have a real strength in group facilitation.  What do you think?"

My head was spinning.  I thought he was coming in to fire me, and now he's asking me to take on a responsibility that is generally reserved for someone that has been here longer.  "I'm flattered that you think I can handle this responsibility.  I can definitely do it," I said, trying for a confident smile.

"Good, that's how it will be then.  My hope is that once we get people hired and trained, you can keep one of the groups--whichever you want--and give one up, to bring your workload back down to a more manageable level.  I'll hold off on assigning you any new clients until I hear from you that you're ready for another, but I don't imagine it will be before we have new staff up and running.  Sound fair?"

"Sounds fair," I agreed.

Jeremy stood up and opened the door.  He paused and turned at the doorway.  "Thanks, Olivia.  Keep up the good work."

Once he left, I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  I felt lightheaded, like I had been holding my breath for too long.  I managed to make it through the rest of the day, avoiding my coworkers because most of them were not happy about the news.

When I got to happy hour that night, only Lauren, Kendra, and Christian were there so far.   I sat down by Lauren and told them all about my day.  I was about halfway through when Brody and Savannah approached the table.  Savannah looked completely engrossed in something she was telling Brody, and Brody looked mildly irritated.  He sat down next to me, and she next to him, and she continued to yammer on and on.  When she stopped for breath a couple minutes later, Brody turned to me.

"Hi," he said smiling, leaning forward to kiss me.

"Ugh, do you guys have to do that here?" Lauren asked in mock disgust.

"I could kiss you too, if you wanted," I said, raising my eyebrows and leaning towards her suggestively.

"Ah!  Get out of here!" she shrieked, laughing, shoving me back towards Brody.

"Suit yourself!" I retorted, kissing Brody again instead.  Savannah huffed in exasperation on his other side.

I went back to the beginning of the day's events for Brody's benefit.   When I finished, Lauren made a face.

"So you're going back to ultra-busy hell?" she asked.

"It shouldn't be quite as bad, and I can do a little prep for my groups at home now that I know I'll be doing it more long-term, so I won't have to spend quite as many hours actually at work.  But yeah, I'll probably be pretty busy.  Hopefully they hire quickly."

"Well, that sucks.  I feel like I've hardly even talked to you for the past couple weeks," Lauren responded.

We made plans for a weekly girls' night, even if it was just watching movies at someone's house.  We all hung out for another hour or so, and then people started to disperse.  

"How'd you guys get here?" Brody asked, when he, Lauren, and I were the only ones left.

"I walked from work," Lauren reported.  "I was going to take a cab home."

"I took the bus," I said.

He offered us both a ride home, dropping Lauren off first.  When he got to my house, I asked if he wanted to come in for a little bit.  He parked the car and walked in with me.

"So, bad news," he said when we had settled on the couch.  I looked at him in surprise.  "Sorry, not that bad.  Just that I know we had plans on Saturday night, and unfortunately, I have to fly to Chicago tomorrow."

"Chicago?" I asked, not understanding.  "For how long?"

"Hopefully not long.  One of the company's clients got himself into a little bit of trouble there and I have to go do some problem solving.  I'm flying out first thing in the morning and I hope to be back sometime Saturday or early Sunday."

"Oh," I said, relieved.  "That's not long.  You had me a little nervous!"

"I'm glad you're not too disappointed. I felt bad breaking our plans," he said, apologetically.

"I'm a little disappointed, because I'd certainly much rather see you than not see you, but I understand!  If you tell me when you'll be back, I'll pick you up at the airport if you want."

"I would love that," he said, pulling me closer to him.  "But for now I'd better make sure you don't forget me while I'm gone."  He grinned devilishly at me, then flipped me onto my back on the couch.  My yelp of surprise was cut off by his kiss, and soon turned to a moan as he pressed his hips against mine.   One hand slipped under my skirt and tugged down my underwear.  He shifted to work them all the way off and then flipped them onto the floor. "You won't be needing those," he murmured into my ear, moving his hand back up my skirt.  I moaned again as his thumb found its target.  

He stood up, taking a condom out of his wallet.  I eyed it skeptically.  I am generally in the "don't sit on your condoms" camp.  "Brand new as of this morning.  I promise," he assured me, catching my look.  I relaxed as he took off his pants and put it on.  I started to wiggle out of my skirt but wasn't fast enough.  "Don't bother," he said, pushing it up my hips, out of the way. 

"Now who's impatient?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.  He silenced any further sassy remarks I might have had by thrusting into me.  I moaned and quickly forgot anything but the way he felt.  He slid an arm under me and pulled my hips up towards him.  I gasped at the change in sensation with the new angle and pressed my face into his shoulder.

Afterwards, we laid side by side on the narrow couch, with his arm anchored around my waist.  Good thing too, because when I tried to shift my weight, I almost fell off the couch.  "This couch is not made for cuddling!" I said, laughing. 

"Hopefully it will keep me from getting too comfortable and wanting to spend the night," Brody said.  "I should get going soon, I still need to pack."

"What if I don't let you?" I teased, wiggling around to face him and then clamping my arms and legs around him.

"Sorry, sweetheart, I don't think you're big enough to stop me!" he said with a laugh.  He wrapped one arm around me and stood easily, with me still attached to his side.

"Hmph.  Fine," I pouted, letting go.  He lowered me to the ground.  One downfall of my height.

He pulled his pants back on and sat to put on his shoes.  When he stood again, he pulled me close and kissed me.

"Let me know you made okay, alright?" I asked. 

"I will.  I'll let you know when I'll be back too."  He kissed me again.  We said goodnight and he left.  I looked at my phone and was surprised to see it was already after 11.  I quickly got ready for bed, doing my best to ignore the dirty dishes in the sink.  I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

7 comments:

  1. Loved that! Brody is such a sweetie, they have great chemistry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree. Damn jobs cutting down on their time together lol. Hope they find a balance of work and friends and growing their relationship.

      Delete
  2. Kinda loving the Savannah getting shot down thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does he always go to events with Savannah? They always seem to walk in together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that too, but then thought that she could've been waiting in the parking lot for him to get there and got out of her car when she saw him. She seems stalker-ish like that...

      L

      Delete
  4. Love hearing about Olivia and Brody! I hope they make it official soon, maybe savannah will chill out then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like Savannah is a creepy stalker. She bugs me! I just imagine Olivia straught up punching her in the face!
    Brody & Olivia make me so happy. They are so real to me!

    http://lovelifela.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete