Monday, August 11, 2014

Girls' Night Fail

Whoops!  This post wasn't supposed to go up until Wednesday.  I was editing it and accidentally posted it without realizing.  Since it's already had several views, I'm not going to take it away.  This means several things.

You guys get two posts today!  If you didn't see Good News, Bad News, scroll down and read that one first.  It also means I have to come up with a bonus post for Wednesday, because I won't leave you guys post-less until Friday now.  Friday we're going to start Savannah's story.  Any requests for Wednesday's post?  It won't be something that continues this storyline, but I could do a random post in this storyline, something from someone else's perspective, or we could start Lauren's story (but we won't get back to for awhile, so I'm not totally in love with that idea).  I was toying with the idea of doing a post from Brody's perspective about the first time he met Liv, since it seemed like a lot of people want more Brody and Liv and are interested in Brody's perspective.  Give me your thoughts in the comments!   

______________________________________________ 

The next week passed in a blur.  Brody hadn't ended up being able to get a flight back until Sunday morning.  He had been exhausted, and we had passed most of the day lounging on his couch together.  It felt good to have a low key day with him, knowing what was facing me at work during the upcoming week.

Monday was spent preparing for my groups that week and seeing clients.  In Tuesday morning's staff meeting, Jeremy talked about self-care and pushed its importance considering everyone's increased responsibilities.  Feeling guilty, because I'd been not doing much self care, I texted Kinsley on my lunch break for a gym date.  We hit the gym after work and I practically fell into bed immediately after.  Wednesday was my longest day, and by the time I got into my car at nearly 8pm, I couldn't remember what I had for lunch.  I skipped Thursday's happy hour.  Brody offered to come hang out, but I insisted he go to happy hour. I didn't want to be "that" couple that couldn't do anything without the other (never mind that we weren't even officially a couple yet), and I kind of just wanted to watch trashy TV and go to bed at 8.

By Friday, I felt a little like a zombie.  I tried to bail on girls' night, but an indignant Lauren insisted that doing it weekly had been my idea and I'd feel better once I just got out.  When I threatened to wear yoga pants and a ponytail, she told me that if I tried, she would forcibly dress me in something from her closet.  I managed to find an outfit that was comfortable but still cute, and I even pulled my straightener through my hair a few times. 

Kinsley picked me and Cassie up and and we arrived at Lauren's house.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kendra was there.  She and Christian kind of had that boring old married couple vibe, even though they weren't even married yet.  Lauren regarded my appearance and nodded, apparently satisfied.  "Good, you decided to stop being a funsucker," she quipped, hugging me.

We had a few drinks before we went out.  I updated them on how work had been this week and Lauren talked about getting a booty call text from Quinn.

"Can you even believe it?  He cancels our date, and then thinks I'm going to come over at 11:30 on a Wednesday night so he can get a piece of ass?  What a jerk!"

"Sounds like you dodged a bullet," Cassie said.  We all nodded.

Kendra offered to DD for the night, and we quickly accepted her offer.  We headed to our favorite bar and wasted no time getting drinks.   We even managed to find an unoccupied table.  We had been there for no more than 20 minutes when a bored looking waitress came over with a tray full of drinks.  "We didn't order anything," Kinsley said.  The waitress pointed over her shoulder, set the drinks down, and disappeared without a word.  Once she moved, we could see a table of 4 guys who appeared to be in their mid to late 20s looking in our direction. 

"They are hot," Lauren muttered, as Kinsley threw her most charming smile in their direction.  Kendra and I exchanged skeptical looks.  The guys took Kinsley's smile as an invitation and made their way to our table.  I groaned.

"Thanks for the drinks, gentlemen," Lauren was saying, practically batting her eyelashes.  I love her, but sometimes I judge her less-than-subtle flirting techniques.  They introduced themselves.  I paid zero attention, and began referring to them in my head as "bad crew cut," "purple shirt," "handsy," (he touched EVERYONE), and "Brett Favre."  I smiled at appropriate times and made small talk, but I was distracted by thoughts of going home and going to bed.

Handsy came over to stand next to me.  "I didn't catch your name," he said, putting his hand on my arm.

"Olivia," I said, gently shaking off his hand.  Irritation flashed on his face, but he quickly pulled his hand away and smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Olivia.  That's a beautiful name."  Is this guy for real?  I looked up at him with indifference. 

"Thanks."

"So...what do you do for work?" he asked, trying desperately to engage me.

"I'm a therapist," I responded shortly.  This guy couldn't take a hint.

"That's cool," he said, before launching into an explanation of what he did.  I let my eyes wander over his shoulder.  Suddenly Lauren appeared next to me.

"Hey, come to the bathroom?" she asked.  I shrugged and followed her.  When we got there, she turned on me.  "So, I know that guy talking to you is totally lame, but his friend is hot and if you could just pretend to not be a total bitch so I can get laid, I'd appreciate it," she huffed.

"Sorry, Laur," I replied sincerely, ignoring that she'd basically just called me a bitch.  "I have no energy left.  I will do my best, but I might just grab a cab home in a little bit."  Lauren was clearly irritated by this, but nodded curtly.

"Just be polite.  Maybe he'll be bugging Kendra by the time we get back out there."

Turns out he wasn't, and I spent the next 45 minutes fending off his friendly advances.  He was persistent, that's for sure.  I excused myself to go back to the bathroom and when I came out of the stall, Lauren was there waiting.

"I'm sorry.  I was totally out of line before.  Thank you for trying, you really are the best."  She hugged me drunkenly.

"So, are you going to get laid tonight, or what?" I asked her, pushing her off of me. 

"Hope so!" she said, turning and flouncing out of the bathroom ahead of me.

15 minutes later, Lauren and Kinsley were walking out with two of the guys.  The other two left shortly after.  "Should we be concerned?" I asked Kendra.  She laughed.

"Nah, they both used to do this shit all the time.  And those guys seemed okay.  But so much for girls' night!  Do you guys want to go home?"  I nodded.  Kendra drove Cassie and home.  Cassie asked if I wanted to come in and hang out for awhile but I declined, and headed for my bed.

Saturday I slept in and went to yoga, and then Brody and I went out to dinner.  We spent the night at his house and went hiking on Sunday.  I wasn't up for much, but it was nice to get out and get some fresh air.

The next week was similar, except Kinsley was sick and Cassie had to work late, so we scrapped girls' night for the week.  

Between the two weeks of the audit, the stressful week after, and the last two weeks, I was dragging on Monday.  I was sure I was about to get a lecture when Jeremy showed up at my office door.  Instead, he said, "I pulled your hours for the last month.  You're way over, and we owe you a little comp time.  I'd like you to take a day off sometime this week or next.  Maybe Friday or Monday and enjoy a long weekend?"

"A long weekend sounds nice," I mused.  "I think Friday will work."

"Alright, consider it done," he said with a friendly smile.  "Thanks again for your hard work!"  With that, he exited my office.

Brody called me Wednesday evening. "Hey, gorgeous," he said when I answered.  "I'm just leaving work.  Can I swing by and say hi?"  I had texted him the day before about my surprise day off, but other than that, we'd both been too busy to talk much or see each other.

"I'd love that.  I am absolutely beat, so don't expect much out of me, though."

"All I'm expecting is seeing you," he replied.

15 minutes later, my doorbell rang, and I got up to let him in.  He swept me into a tight hug and kissed the top of my head.  I wrapped my arms around him and leaned into him.  He guided me over to the couch and sat down, pulling me down into his lap.  I curled into his chest.  "You look exhausted," he said softly, stroking my hair.  I nodded against his chest.  "I took Friday off," he said then.  I leaned away and looked up at him.

"You did?"

"Yup.  I thought we could go up to the cabin, if you wanted to.  We could have a relaxing weekend together."

I melted back against him, leaning my head against his shoulder as he leaned back into the couch.  "That sounds perfect.  Lauren will kill me for skipping out on girls' night, but she owes me big time after the last one!"  We just sat there like that for awhile.  At some point I must have fallen asleep, and I woke up several hours later, confused how I got in my bed.  I rolled over and grabbed my phone to check the time.  There was a post-it stuck to it.  I shined the light from my phone on it and squinted to read it in the dark.  "You fell asleep and I didn't want to wake you.  I set your phone alarm for you.  I'll call you tomorrow, beautiful girl."  I smiled and rolled back over, falling asleep with my phone and the note still clutched in my hand.
 _________________________________________

Hope you guys enjoyed the unintentional bonus!  Don't forget to let me know in the comments what you want to see for Wednesday's post.

17 comments:

  1. Loyal reader, first time commenting. Love the story line & your writing is amazing. If the girls are having weekly girls night & Savannah is never invited & the only person that seems to like her is Alex, why the hell does she keep coming around other than trying & failing to get Brody? Its sad she doesnt realize these ppl just tolerate her. Smh. I think the Brody perspective of meeting Liv is a PERFECT idea. Keep up the good work you're doing awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second this!! I love the idea of Brody's perspective of when he first met Liv. Keep up the good work :)

      Delete
    2. Agreed!!
      -Nicole

      Delete
    3. You guys are so sweet, thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. Thank you for your compliments and input!

      Delete
  2. I love this blog and would love to read from Brody's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to read more about Brody and his perspective!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a nice surprise. Would love to read more about Brody's perspective

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am absolutely loving this blog and would love to read about Liv and Brody from his perspective. Thanks for the bonus! It was a nice surprise on a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely do Brody's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see the unintentional bonus post! I'm a new reader... Discovered your blog on Sunday and read from the first post to current. I love your writing.. Mr. "Handsy" made me lol. As for Wednesdays post, I'd love to see something from Brody's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you found me and love the blog!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you guys all liked the surprise--it was a surprise for me too ;) Sounds like a Brody post it is for Wednesday! Thank you all so much for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog on Saturday and I'm hooked!! I'm a semi new (young) mom and reading your blog helps me live vicariously through Olivia! Absoultly love Brody and Olivia, and Lauren seems like the perfect bff. Savannah is just a stuck up b**** and I hope she gets what's coming to her!! Your doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like it! I think everyone should have a Lauren :)

      Delete
  10. Your post is so enjoyable! Yes please, I would love a post from Brody's perspective, either from meeting Liv or just his background, or both! :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for us to be able to read Brody's mind :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Come back tomorrow for his perspective in meeting Liv, and then in about a month or so we'll do some of his back story!

      Delete